Virtual Happy Hour (Brew Pics and Reviews)

Zardnaar

Legend
Hazy Pilsner, bit if a failure on the hazy part but quite a nice beer. Slightly hoppy flavoured pilsner. 4/5 very good.

IMG_20210204_180846.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
Stinky hot day here so went I'ma mission. Craft beer section at supermarket.

IMG_20210205_125606.jpg

That's half of it. 5 million people 200+ microbreweries.

Came home with these.

IMG_20210205_141054.jpg

NZ, Aussie, Samoa and
Europe represent.

Might have to drink them fast so they don't go off.

Zardnaar

Legend
Vailima The taste of Samoa.

IMG_20210205_142547.jpg

Found this in the bottle store. Never had a Samoan beer before. Expectations were low due to looking like NZ lager . It comes in a 750ml bottle. 6.7% abv 4 standard drinks per bottle.

On the way home however I remembered th a Germans used to rule Samoa. Until New Zealand invaded erm liberated in WW1 from the oppressive German empire to the NZ erm glorious British empire.

Germans make decent beer and ex German breweries exist around the world.

Beer advocate had it as well.

82/100 pretty damn good for typical lager expectations switched to somewhat enthusiastic.

First sip somewhat disappointed. Tasted like an NZ generic lager from the 1980s. More investigation required. Further down the bottle it's a lot smoother with a pleasant sort of sweet after taste. A lot smoother than our generic 1980s only option. Stronger as well.

Overall pretty damn good. The Beer advocate one is fair enough, not bad for lager type beer and 6.7% bit of a kick. At $4.50usd a bottle I may have to do my bit to support the Samoan export economy since they're reliant on tourism.

Thumbs up few bottles of this more than two thumbs. Do d I mention nice aftertaste.

Zardnaar

Legend
Murica American Pale Ale. Behomoth Brewing Company

IMG_20210205_153731.jpg

IMG_20210205_153808.jpg

APAs tend to have less hops than an IPA. In NZ IPAs basically mean more hops, add more hops on top of extra hops.

When your beer starts to taste like fruit salad you may have gone to far.

6% abv, 1.6 standard drinks per can. Behemoth normally make a good brew and they use a lot of satire to sell their beer. Their Dump the Trump seasonal brew sold out fast never got to try it.

This APA is slightly fruity but the hop flavour isn't overpowering. By our standards that's subtle. Very smooth nice aftertaste. Quite like this one. I don't think it's on beer advocate but yeah probably best beer I have had recently.

4.5/5. Almost as good as my favorite Russian APA/IPA.

Well damn I'm wrong.

Only one review at 4.3.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Victorian Bitter AKA VB
IMG_20210205_161604.jpg

Aussies favorite beer by volume. Generic lager bad memories from the 90s. Gets a whopping 5.9 on beer advocate.

This beer has a terrible reputation. I haven't drunk it since the 90's. It doesn't even pretend to be good. A meh beer from Russia tastes better.

On the positives.
It's a lager
It looks like a lager.
Better than expected.

It has an unpleasant smell. Taste was a bit of a surprise. I was expecting terrible but it managed to sneak in at barely drinkable. After two other beers though it might help. It's also 4.9% so it's a bit stronger than our typical 4% generic ales that manage to taste even worse.

This is not a good beer. On the plus side better than expected. I'm having it on a best case scenario. Half cut on other beers hot summer day.

Overall congrats Australia. Your crap beer is marginally better than our crap beer. I might be able to finish the can which is an improvement over out crap beer and it's stronger. 5/10 maybe drink if it's a hot day and the boss paid for it. Budweiser is a masterpiece by comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_161604.jpg
    IMG_20210205_161604.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Victorian Bitter AKA VB
View attachment 132204

Aussies favorite beer by volume. Generic lager bad memories from the 90s. Gets a whopping 5.9 on beer advocate.

This beer has a terrible reputation. I haven't drunk it since the 90's. It doesn't even pretend to be good.

On the positives.
It's a lager
It looks like a lager.

It has an unpleasant smell. Taste was a bit of a surprise. I was expecting terrible but it managed to sneak in at barely drinkable. After two other beers though it might help. It's also 4.9% so it's a bit stronger than our typical 4% generic ales that manage to taste even worse.

This is not a good beer. On the plus side better than expected. I'm having it on a best case scenario. Half cut on other beers hot summer day.

Overall congrats Australia. Your crap beer is marginally better than our crap beer. I might be able to finish the can which is an improvement over out crap beer and it's stronger. 5/10 maybe drink if it's a hot day and the boss paid for it. Budweiser is a masterpiece by comparison.
Sounds like Maryland's own infamously bad beer, National Bohemian.

But Natty Boh to us Marylanders.

Zardnaar

Legend
Grolsch 5% abv

Dutch lager brewed under licence here in NZ. Have not had for a long time. Last time I had it was when I got the pictured beer glass.
IMG_20210205_173549.jpg

Perfectly adequate generic euro lagers. Nothing exciting no complaints. Should probably stop drinking but having pizza for dinner and it is a hot summer night.

7/10. Basic does the job. My glass is around 450mls or 500 mls so really need a larger Russian bottle to fill it. Reminds me a bit of Zatecky Gus which is my go to for generic pilsner. ZG is a bit better than this one.

United Nations world tour. Samoa,NZ, Aussie, Holland.

Grolsch Premium Lager | Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

72 beer advocate. Fair rating IMHO.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Beer 5 by opening more like 9 ABV.

IMG_20210205_185933.jpg

Quite hoppy for a pilsner but not particularly exciting. Bit more bitter than my personal preference.

It is in beer advocate but much like most NZ craft beers not many reviews.

Nice enough but had better for cheaper. 7.2/10 not as good as a 7.5 better than 7. For the price probably pick generic German pilsner option as I can get 2.5 Krombacher's for the same price.

Probably a bit pretentious calling itself a bouncing Czech Pilsner.

Zardnaar

Legend
Parrotdog Hazy IPA

IMG_20210205_194944.jpg

Now this is a hazy IPA. Perfectly balanced NZ craft brewery. Very similar to my favorite Russian IPA/APA.

Not to hoppy as mentioned some IPAs mistake more hops for good taste.

The Russian IPAs (and hard to find) are half the price at 7 % though this one is a bit stronger but not overwhelming in flavour.

I really like this one. Bigger can as well (450mls). 2.4 standard drinks Aus/NZ 3.1 UK.

4.6 for me might even go 4.7. Pretty damn good. Best beer so far. Gonna shortlist this one gonna buy again.

Zardnaar

Legend
Harrington Rogue Hop Pilsner

IMG_20210205_205519.jpg

5%abv. Just a bitter pilsner. Nice enough gets the job done. Nothing special. Last beer of the night. Things a bit fuzzy.

Weekends beer supply evaporated. I blame the pizza..

From worst to best inc price point.

VB
Boundary Road pilsner
Harrington Pilsner
Grolsch Premium Pilsner
Vailima lager
Behemoth APA Murica
Parrotdog IPA

Well done Samoa. Reasonably priced lager preferred it over some if the more expensive pilsners. Best bang for buck good start to the session 4 beers in a bottle by abv.

APA and IPA were nice. Everything else was ok except for the VB. VB doesn't pretend to be anything else though.

Vailima is about the same price as premium/imported lagers that are "better". Sleeper hit outperformed expectations.

Bit sloshed but not to bad. Nice buzz watching The Wire. Gonna stop now ignore the wine.

Last edited:

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Is it worse than Bud? I kinda like Bud not much flavour or a bit watery but not unpleasant.
I'm not the best judge as to that question as I thoroughly detest Budweiser. The only mass-produced beverage less palatable than warm Coke is warm Bud. I've had it (the only beer available on a two-month dig out in the middle of the Negev desert) and it put me off the alleged lager permanently.

Natty Boh compares to PBR, which isn't surprising as Pabst Brewing now brews Natty. Both have the same enjoyment factor:

The first one goes down a little rough put if you muscle through it, the second one goes down significantly easier. Once you've pounded that one, the third can and all cans after that are very easy to drink. Which is good because it takes about 8 cans to get good and drunk on them.

Both pair well with burgers, especially greasy burgers.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not the best judge as to that question as I thoroughly detest Budweiser. The only mass-produced beverage less palatable than warm Coke is warm Bud. I've had it (the only beer available on a two-month dig out in the middle of the Negev desert) and it put me off the alleged lager permanently.

Natty Boh compares to PBR, which isn't surprising as Pabst Brewing now brews Natty. Both have the same enjoyment factor:

The first one goes down a little rough put if you muscle through it, the second one goes down significantly easier. Once you've pounded that one, the third can and all cans after that are very easy to drink. Which is good because it takes about 8 cans to get good and drunk on them.

Both pair well with burgers, especially greasy burgers.

I find Bud inoffensive. Not much flavour, bit watery. Makes it easy enough to drink.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Leather Britches Porter by Blackberry Farm Brewery in Tennessee. It's very light for a porter with a bit of bitterness. The hints of fruit and chocolate are maybe too subtle for me. It's fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it 6.4% ABV, 39 IBU. Beer advocate only has 7 ratings for it. The can label is part of the 48 Beer Project by artist Heidi Geist. The can explains that Leather Britches refers to a southern method for preserving green beans.

Attachments

• 1612650768429.png
    1612650768429.png
    699.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 1612650774484.png
    1612650774484.png
    660.2 KB · Views: 7

Zardnaar

Legend
Waitangi Day weekend over here. Long weekend. Hot summer day. Gonna be rough

IMG_20210207_113647.jpg

Cheap APA about 1/3rd the price as previous effort. $15 usd for 10 pack. Sucker for the packaging.

Hoping for the best not expecting much. 4.8% kinda weak for APA so....

From Nelson NZ's "Sunshine State" equivalent. Good wine and hops up that way.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4