• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Virtual Tabletops/Online Tools?

WizarDru

Adventurer
I'm planning on running an online 5E game for friends who don't live nearby. What do people prefer to use these days/recommend?

I remember trying Roll20 and thinking it was decent enough then, but I'm curious what folks who currently run online games are using. Obviously I could use something like Google hangouts or even just a Discord server.

I'd love to hear suggestions from folks who are doing this or have done it.

Thanks!

WizarDru

Adventurer
And just to clarify, my preference is for video chat and ideally the ability to share documents/images, send messages to individuals and possibly a dice roller function.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For your requirements, Google Hangouts would be sufficient. But I would go for a full VTT. If you are using official APs and want most of the mechanics taken careful, Fantasy Grounds is probably the way to go, but Roll20 and d20pro also have official WoTC 5e content and may be easier to use. There are so many recorded live play sessions that show all these platforms, that I would watch a bit of a number of them to see how they work in play.

The challenge is that you have a number of choices, but if you spend the money on content for one, you can feel locked into that platform.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Thanks to you both.

That Init tracker is VERY COOL. I'll have to look into Fantasy Grounds. I'm more than happy to spend a little to get an adequate online solution, though I don't want my players to have to pay anything. Online tools would be an indulgence for me. d20Pro is one I'm not familiar with, so I'll check that out now!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I have used Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds and both are pretty good. It was a few years ago since I used Roll20 and I never used video chat as I do not have the bandwidth for it. I did find that the native voice chat on Roll20 was not good at the time. It may have improved since.
Fantasy Grounds does not support coms but you can use discord or skype or even google hangouts

That said as a DM I really like Fantasy Grounds.

mrrockitt

Explorer
I have used Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds and both are pretty good. It was a few years ago since I used Roll20 and I never used video chat as I do not have the bandwidth for it. I did find that the native voice chat on Roll20 was not good at the time. It may have improved since.
Fantasy Grounds does not support coms but you can use discord or skype or even google hangouts

That said as a DM I really like Fantasy Grounds.
Just wanted to add to this slightly old thread. I have now switched fully over to Fantasy Grounds and purchased the official 5e material for it.
I much prefer Fantasy Grounds to Roll20 now. Both good but FG does it better for me.

Remove ads