Void Incarnate

Dross Swordra

First Post
Have any of you guys explored the void incarnate epic prestige class? (here is a link to it: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030418a. I'm not entirely sure how the void presence ability works.

Void Presence (Ex): Opponents of a void incarnate unconsciously ignore the void incarnate's presence starting at 3rd level. They are always treated as flat-footed to the void incarnate (and thus may not apply their Dexterity modifier to AC). This lasts until the void incarnate attacks the opponent, but resumes again at the start of the void incarnate's next turn. This is a mind-affecting effect.​

How does this play in combat? Does only the first attack each round from the void incarnate catch opponents flat footed? Or does every attack on the void incarnate's turn catch foes flat footed? Does this ability also mean that opponents will not attack or target the void incarnate until the VI attacks them? In short, I don't really know what this ability really does for the VI, and am asking if somebody could explain its mechanics a bit more descriptively.

I appreciate the help.

-Dross

Last edited:

Dross Swordra

First Post
does anybody have any thoughts on the matter? I'm joining an epic campaign tomorrow and was considering taking this class, but I don't quite know the implications of the class abilities.

-dross

Krelios

First Post
WotC Article said:
Void Presence (Ex): Opponents of a void incarnate unconsciously ignore the void incarnate's presence starting at 3rd level. They are always treated as flat-footed to the void incarnate (and thus may not apply their Dexterity modifier to AC). This lasts until the void incarnate attacks the opponent, but resumes again at the start of the void incarnate's next turn. This is a mind-affecting effect.

You can also use Bluff to create a diversion to hide as a move-equivalent action, rather than as a standard action.

This ability has an interesting side effect. Anyone attempting to use Gather Information or similar methods to learn about a void incarnate finds the task very difficult. Increase the DC of such tasks by 20 plus the target's void incarnate class level.
So the first attack on each opponent in a round catches that opponent flat-footed. Notice that is says "attacks the opponent," not "attacks an/y opponent." That means if you get four attacks and you take them all on the same target, only one catches them flat-footed, but you could attack four different opponents and catch all four flat-footed. Also note that this doesn't affect targets immune to mind-affecting effects, though most of them are immune to sneak attack anyway.

The ability doesn't make you truly invisible, at least as far as it describes, so they can still target/attack you, but you can bluff as a move-action to hide so you get some benefit there. You also get the bonus to people learning about you, which may or may not ever come into play.

Basically you're there, opponent's can see you, but they have difficulty concentrating on you so it's easier for you to strike them in combat and to hide from them.

Dross Swordra

First Post
I realize that it doesn't make the void incarnate invisible, but the wording: "Opponents of a void incarnate unconsciously ignore the void incarnate's presence starting at 3rd level." leads me to believe that since opponents are ignoring the VI's presence, then they would not be able to target him. It doesn't seem like one could simultaneously ignore somebody's presence and target them in combat. Maybe I'm reading too much into the ability.

-Dross

shilsen

Adventurer
Dross Swordra said:
I realize that it doesn't make the void incarnate invisible, but the wording: "Opponents of a void incarnate unconsciously ignore the void incarnate's presence starting at 3rd level." leads me to believe that since opponents are ignoring the VI's presence, then they would not be able to target him. It doesn't seem like one could simultaneously ignore somebody's presence and target them in combat. Maybe I'm reading too much into the ability.

-Dross
Yes, you are. Go with the listed mechanical benefits.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Dross Swordra said:
I realize that it doesn't make the void incarnate invisible, but the wording: "Opponents of a void incarnate unconsciously ignore the void incarnate's presence starting at 3rd level."

-Dross

Shouldn't that be subconsciouly?

darthkilmor

First Post
It certainly seems to read that you could go through an entire combat and not have anyone attack you unless you attack them, and then only for the next round would they care about you.

Something like, if you were attacking a group of gnolls and there was a small girl with them, you'd ignore her and attack the gnolls, unless the girl attacks you (and even then, you might care for the next round but if she doesnt do anything else you'll leave her alone, effectively viewing as a non-combatant). Certainly doesnt seem to require any hiding or effort on the part of the void incarnate pc either.

Alternatively you could read ignore presence as try to walk right through you, can't provide a flanking bonus, etc.

Remove ads