Volo’s Guide to Monsters

5 out of 5 rating for Volo’s Guide to Monsters

This is one of my favorite 5th edition books and should be useful for more games out there than the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (2015). I’ve already used lore (gnolls) and addition monsters (gnolls, NPC Blackguard) in my current game, and the content is really helpful when prepping for an encounter. Full review at Tribality.com.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter

Excellent product from WoTC to increase the number of monsters as well as give more story ideas for many of the core monsters. Include the new playable races and the top notch art and layout makes it a "must buy" in my book!

Daramere

First Post

[FONT=&quot]Volo’s Guide to Monsters provides a deeper look for continuing D&D players – a deeper roster for the DM, a deeper insight into common foes, and a deeper selection pool for players who want to go beyond the (admittedly already expansive) character options from the PHB. I wish there was a little more time spent on the new PC races, which will not be nearly as familiar to players as the PHB standbys, but I get that there’s only so much page count to go around. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Volo’s Guide provides some nice extra flavor for common monsters, as well as additional options, making it a worthy addition for a D&D 5E campaign.[/FONT]

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

I love the mix of Monster Lore, Character Races, and Bestiary. Sure, players may buy the book for the character races and that will give them access to the bestiary, but they can buy and read the Monster Manual as well and there is nothing you can do about it. Selling books that both players and DMs will want is good business sense.

pkt77242

Explorer

I really enjoy VGtM. It made for a nice read and it contained some great monsters and lore (especially Hags). It is worth the $50 but it is a steal at the Amazon price (currently about $30). I am already planning on using the variant Hobgoblins from it along with the Hobgoblins from the MM to create an add-on to LMoP.

lyle.spade

Adventurer

I picked this up a few weeks ago looking for story fluff connected to iconic monsters, in hopes of finding some inspiration for future stories. The book's perfect for it, and the writers did a brilliant job of connecting that fluff to the mechanics that define the various iconics in the first section of the book. If you want to find new, awful ways to unleash gnolls on civilization, almost akin to a zombie plague, this book will get you ready. The section of PC races was okay, but probably not something I'll use a lot. Still, it was well-written and interesting. The final section, of new or new to 5e monsters, was great, adding more beasties to the collection I already have. And the Trapper made its returned! I turned that page and smiled wide at that.

If you're a DM looking for ideas to vary 'stock' monsters, this book will help a lot. If you're looking for new monsters and races, this book will do the job.

Dualazi

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Volo’s Guide to Monsters

I'm forced to eat my words with this review somewhat, since I initially maligned Volo's during its release for its choice to split the book into 3 sections, two of which I had significant doubts about in regards to quality and usefulness. Some of these were a happy surprise with how well done they were, while sadly some of my initial predictions did come to pass.

Pros:

- Artwork is amazing, as usual. Wizards has a good track record here and they continue to maintain it, with mind-flayers, hags, and yuan-ti looking as sharp as ever. Not much else to say here, I can't think of any art in the book that came off as sloppy or inaccurate.

-Some of the lore sections are really well done, such as the Hags, Yuan-ti, and Illithids. These entries expand upon existing lore and offer some much needed diversity in how these enemies can be presented.

-Monster design is great, with a lot more of the entries having unique or iconic effects translated into distinct abilities for that specific monster, rather than using filler spell-lists. We also get a lot of great variants within existing monsters, like some new illithid variants, beholder offshoots, and orc variations.

-fairly setting agnostic. While it does bear the title of Volo, this is not a product married to the realms or its lore, which is a plus for me. If you're a huge realms fanatic, this might be the opposite.

Cons:

-in contrast to Pro #2, some of the other lore entries are pretty bland and uninteresting, with offerings like the kobold and goblinoids not offering anything new that wasn't already well known or alluded to in the basic MM.

-The section on races is pretty awful, to be honest. The ones that are pseudo-balanced still require DM oversight as they're pretty damn niche (Triton as a player race?), and more egregiously the section on playing the more monstrous humanoids straight up tells you they didn't bother balancing those options. To me this is like paying for a broken tool, because for me buying an official product should carry with it the assurance that the designers used their industry experience and skill to offer something better than the homebrew options floating around long before Volo's was announced, and that just isn't the case here. As a player resource I find this book severely lacking.

-Price. The only reason I'm giving this product a 4 star rating is due to the fact that I got it 50% off, which I feel is a reasonable price for it. At 50$ this would likely sink to 3 or even 2 stars, potentially.

In summary, there's a lot to like about Volo's, but intentional design has left some parts feeling like too little butter spread over too much bread. There's some real progress in monster design though, and there are some admittedly great additions to existing lore that I underestimated before getting my hands on it, despite other elements confirming my initial fears. If you can pick it up on a sale then I'd do so.

Terry Hawkins

Banned
Banned

Great book for actual 5E gamers. The overview of the monsters was interesting and full of ideas. The new player races are great. However, I am still wondering how the Tritans can see in the depths without Darkvision. And the new monster entries are great. I just hope new products will actually use some of them. Overall, worth getting even if you are budgeting your 5E purchases. Worth the money.

draggon mon

First Post

Besides an extra way to play as a few monsters, it gives you more monsters , descriptions and other things to spice things up, and its explained differently, but still in a dnd manner. its an exellent addition to sword coast.

Remove ads