D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters Limited Edition

DMJon

Explorer
I'm considering purchasing a copy of Volo's Guide to Monsters limited edition but before I do, I have a few questions.

First, was there more than one printing? I assume there was just one print run but I've seen some copies in a clear wrap and wondered if this was added in a subsequent printing.

Second, in general, does the book suffer from alot of manufacturing issues? I've seen quite a few for sale with split corners, bad bindings, skuffed covers, etc.

Finally, the price seems to keep climbing but what will happen if/when 6E is announced? Will the book hold its value, keep increasing, or tank?

I realize my last question might be difficult to answer but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Unless I'm mistaken about what it is... the only difference between it & the version you could get new on amazon for 50$ or whatever it currently sells for is the cover that you had to buy in a game store the first month they were sold & maybe some errata not included

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I'm considering purchasing a copy of Volo's Guide to Monsters limited edition but before I do, I have a few questions.

First, was there more than one printing? I assume there was just one print run but I've seen some copies in a clear wrap and wondered if this was added in a subsequent printing.

Second, in general, does the book suffer from alot of manufacturing issues? I've seen quite a few for sale with split corners, bad bindings, skuffed covers, etc.

Finally, the price seems to keep climbing but what will happen if/when 6E is announced? Will the book hold its value, keep increasing, or tank?

I realize my last question might be difficult to answer but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance!
First, don't expect 6e any time soon. 5e is doing spectacularly well, and they really have set up the system to avoid another edition assuming this one does well (and it has). Having said that, many books from older editions still sell for premium prices, while others don't. While rarity plays a part, what's more important is demand, that is, they are popular. I'm not a collector, though, so I wouldn't recommend anybody purchase them because they think they will increase in value. Buy them to use them.

The soft-touch cover can wear, I've noticed more wear on my copy of Mordenkainen's Tome than Volo's Guide. Both still look very, very good though, and both are (currently anyway), still at very reasonable prices on eBay. I posted them today.

Good luck on that. I've tried looking into that version and the stupid Scalpers think everybody is made of money or something. Volo, Xanathars, Tome of Foes, all of those have stupid jacked up prices.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Good luck on that. I've tried looking into that version and the stupid Scalpers think everybody is made of money or something. Volo, Xanathars, Tome of Foes, all of those have stupid jacked up prices.
It's not 'scalpers' setting the prices, it's the people bidding on them. I started mine with a $0.99 initial bid price.

I will also point out that the book is still in print, it's just the limited edition cover that is selling at ridiculous prices. It's cool, but I had originally purchased them only because I buy my stuff at a local gaming store instead of online, and that was available at the same price. But the content is the same regardless, so no gamer has to pay a ridiculous price to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleasantly surprised that it will sell for as much as it is, I can really use the money right now. But that's the beauty of eBay, the price is set entirely by demand. And that works both ways, I've gotten plenty of great deals when purchasing too, you just have to be patient. If I was smart, I wouldn't have listed Xanathar's or Tome of Foes for another 2-3 years. But there's no guarantee the demand will still be there either.

It's not 'scalpers' setting the prices, it's the people bidding on them. I started mine with a $0.99 initial bid price.

I will also point out that the book is still in print, it's just the limited edition cover that is selling at ridiculous prices. It's cool, but I had originally purchased them only because I buy my stuff at a local gaming store instead of online, and that was available at the same price. But the content is the same regardless, so no gamer has to pay a ridiculous price to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleasantly surprised that it will sell for as much as it is, I can really use the money right now. But that's the beauty of eBay, the price is set entirely by demand. And that works both ways, I've gotten plenty of great deals when purchasing too, you just have to be patient. If I was smart, I wouldn't have listed Xanathar's or Tome of Foes for another 2-3 years. But there's no guarantee the demand will still be there either.
Scalpers are still stupid and scummy regardless.

Them sniper bidders are absolutely crazy on that quick draw, I'll give em that.

Remove ads