• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote on Epic

Where did Epic Level Handbook sales fall in 3rd edition?

• 4th Rank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5th

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 6th

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 7th

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 8th

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 9th

• 10th

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • 11th

• 12th

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • 13th

• 14th

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • 15th

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 16th

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 17th

• 18th

• 19th

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 20th

Votes: 20 27.4%

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Mokona said:
It seems like the Epic Level Handbook ...had a significant impact on the product strategy influencing 4th Edition game design.

As an example of what not to do?

(4E epic takes a very different approach)

Some of that book ended up in the 3.5 DMG, and I think there may have been some updating on the SRD (as there was with the equally misreable 3.0 Deities and Demigods).

My guess: it may have sold really well at first, but I doubt it had any legs.

hamishspence

Adventurer
epic

the free downloadable 3.5 update.

it updated epic, manual of the planes, deities, MM2, fiendfolio (did not need to update as much of that one)

As for views: I liked epic, but having seen how buggy it was (epic spells were a great idea but got broke instantly) and the extremely variable utility of the epic feats, I would handle epic content with extreme caution.

4th ed: updated a number of epic monsters, but really seems more like levels 1-20 got converted into levels 1-30 and the epic monsters were given a powerdown.

Examples: Orcus: FCI version: CR22. 4th ed: Solo 33.
Balors and pit fiends: if you backtrack to third ed, rule fits a bit: Level 27 balor corresponds to level 18 old balor, level 26 pit fiend: old version was level 16.

my view: old book was interesting, but the flaws were too big for it to be a good work. I still enjoy reading it though.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Funny you should mention the ELH; I just bought it about a month ago at a used bookstore. So I guess you could say it fell pretty low on the list for me.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mokona said:
Epic Level Handbook was in print and available from Wizards of the Coast during the entire life of 3.5. . .

Really? I was under the impression that it was only printed once, in 2002 and never reprinted for use with 3.5 (I recall that they issued the free update, but I have never seen a second printing of the book for sale).

Stoat

Adventurer
4E Epic seems decidedly different from the ELH.

What impact did the ELH have on 4E other than a few monster names?

On topic, based on the reception it got 'round these parts, I would guess that the ELH was not a particularly good seller.

shinmizu

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I don't think I ever saw anybody ask WotC to reprint the whole handbook.
It would have fared much better if they had rewritten it just before publication so that it was compatible with itself... like if, oh, I don't know, the sample epic spells actually followed the rules for epic spells.

And, yes, Union was awesome. If I had a choice, I'd live there instead of Sigil.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
No idea. But I voted anyway: 16th. :shrug: Whatever the case, I agree, it's crap.

Oh, and of all the people I know IRL who bought 3e books (quite a few), only *one* bought that book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads