Voting threads and the New Posts list

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Voting posts are still something we're adding to our EN World culture. We often think of them as the much more common discussion posts and not think to vote. But something that makes this harder is that they can quickly be pushed off the New Posts list simply by no new options being written, even if the thread is active with voting.

Since voting will be done by new eyes, and a major source of those new eyes goes away when it's pages back on the New Posts list, a thread active with voting can still die on the vine without new entries added.

Would it be possible to change the New Posts lists so that votes on a voting post will refresh where it is just like comments do with a discussion thread? To show all active posts.

Thanks for the consideration.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You mean polls? No, to my knowledge the software we use (Xenforo) doesn't bump the thread when people vote. It's not something I have control over.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@Morrus Sorry, I mean Question threads, like this one:

Though I suppose the answer is likely the same.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
OK, how about option B: is there any way to have Xenforo automatically apply a sticky tag to "question" threads for a set period of time - say, two weeks or 20 days or whatever seems appropriate - to keep them at the top of page one for long enough to get some traction?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, how about option B: is there any way to have Xenforo automatically apply a sticky tag to "question" threads for a set period of time - say, two weeks or 20 days or whatever seems appropriate - to keep them at the top of page one for long enough to get some traction?
Well, the short answer is (a) no, but also (b) even if it could, then there would only be a page full of sticky threads!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Option C: As gauche as it might be, just occasionally manually "bump" it with a new comment.

(And if you're the only one doing it, take the hint and let it die)

CapnZapp

Legend
Option C: As gauche as it might be, just occasionally manually "bump" it with a new comment.

(And if you're the only one doing it, take the hint and let it die)
I believe the point here is that a poll thread can be active even if no new posts are made.

This makes the thread fall off the first page even though the thread remains active.

My suggestion would be to bump the thread each time it falls off page one, provided there has been at least one new vote since the last bump. (I am not a mod, so this is just a thought.)

Point here is that "take the hint" misunderstands the dilemma. It's not that you're alone fighting a lost battle. It's that the other active users are interacting with the thread in the intended way, but one that doesn't work with how 99.9% of users view the subforum: with recently posted-to threads first.

Last edited:

Remove ads