• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vow Of Poverty?

calypso15

Explorer
If you want the specifics, you have to buy the book. Basically, you can't own anything of any value, period. In exchange, you get stat boosts, spell resistance, damage reduction, a new car, etc. It's silly, and should be a prestige class, seeing as it has different abilities at each level.

Calypso

Scion

First Post
To go against the flow, vop is actually incredibly well done for just what it tries to do.

It is very well balanced across nearly all of the levels (some are a bit underpowered) but it has a huge hit in versitility (made up for generally by the feats really). It isnt 'borderline munchy' it is merely a very focused ability that gives up one very impressive list of things to gain a much more restricted list. In fact, for most classes it is more than a little underpowered (a few minor tweaks fix this).

You want specifics you will have to get them illegally. Most people on here will not post them for you. Actually, I read something the other day which may mean it is not directly illegal, but still, go ahead and get the book ;)

Personally though I would like to see one that just works over general alignments rather than for incredibly good only, I think it would take only a few very minor modifications to make it work under that scope.

Nail

First Post
Strangely enough, I completely agree with Scion.

(We must not be talking about psionics, eh? :) )

The Vow of Poverty is very well done (if a bit "pre3.5e"); providing reasonable benefits and good role-playing opportunities. Yup: Role-playing opportunities. It's not very munchkin-like at all.

For the record, I do not either play or DM a Vow of Poverty PC. In the game in which I'm a PC, I work alongside a VoP Monk. He does quite well -- but he does not overshadow anyone, even our fighter, who is far from "optimized".

Oh yeah: if you want the info, I hear you can get it really cheap. Try here:

http://enworld.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=33408&

Rashak Mani

First Post
Its from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Basically if you promise to be poor you will gain advantages every level. Things like armor bonus and weapons you wield will be considered magical. Eventually you get resistance bonus... freedom of movement continuous and DR.

Usually good vow for Druids and Monks

calypso15

Explorer
I agree, VoP is well balanced and adds some depth, but it really should have been a prestige class. You'll note that it's the only feat that grants additional abilities as you gain levels. That sounds a lot like what a class is for...

Plus, when I read VoP, I was still pretty underwhelmed by ravages and whatever the "good" equivalent of diseases is. Bleh.

Calypso

Scion

First Post
It doesnt give 'additional' benefits per se so much as it replaces your wealth each level by something else ;)

Every level it does the same thing, takes away your wealth chart and puts something else in its place.

Much like improved toughness doesnt give 'more' each time, it always gives 1hp/hd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads