Critical Role Vox Machina Honest Trailers!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I chuckled through the entire "Honest Trailer." The cameo from Matt Mercer was a pleasant surprise.

The cartoon is pretty good, better than I expected (and I had very high expectations). On a Venn diagram, this show lies at the intersection of D&D, Anime, and HBO Fantasy Television Series--with all the good and bad that implies--so if you aren't a fan of one or more of those, your level of enjoyment might vary. I'm 2 out of 3, so I largely enjoyed it. YMMV.

I'm looking forward to the next season. Given the popularity of this particular cartoon on Amazon, the popularity of anime and generic TV fantasy shows for grownups, and the popularity of the Critical Role franchise as a whole, I'd be very surprised if we don't see several seasons of this cartoon.

Oofta

Legend
I watch the stream while doing other things, I wouldn't bother just sitting down and watching though. On the other hand I thought the cartoon was a lot of fun, and if you watched the trailer you saw the worst of it. Much like the streamed show itself, it is aimed at an adult audience of course.

It was a cute take on the honest trailer bit, I got a chuckle from the announcer competition. :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If you watch the show, you will then.

I watched all the episodes, but it couldn't hold my attention and was forgettable at best. I won't be watching any more of it. Seems like it was leaning too hard on being crude and humorous rather than a good story. For the record though I don't watch the live play CR so maybe if I did, I'd have "gotten it"?
Seems consistent with most D&D gameplay to me. Moment-to-moment it’s mostly lightheaded antics (which may or may not be crude, depending on the group’s tastes), and the overarching story is kind of secondary.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I just cant' do podcasts, so I never got into CR. But I enjoyed The Legend of Vox Machina. Even though my general lack of success with podcasts (just not for me, nothing against them as a concept) I still had tried several times because of the Venn diagram of D&D and some of those specific voice actors whom I knew from other shows like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. So hearing them on an animated D&D show was like it was targeted directly at me.

The rough humor of it very much did remind me of gaming sessions with certain groups, so it wasn't off-putting like it might have been in a different vehicle.

All in all I enjoyed it and am waiting for the next season.

Stalker0

Legend
Yes, the show is definitely R rated!
If your R concerns is primarily around nudity and sex, you can skip the first two episodes (which frankly are the weakest of the show by far) and cut out about 95% of it. Now there is language, bloody violence, and generally crude humor throughout, so if that's your concern no helping you there.

Remove ads