Vtt policy

Enrahim2

Adventurer
Thread for talking about the VTT policy. First out, what do the current suggestion say, and what could it aceptably say?

I see two issues: one is that it appear to be possible to change at any time, as it is not strickly speaking a part of the ogl propper. Hence it is hard to justify the significant effort associated with for instance convering and selling an adventure module on a vtt on a commercial basis.

The other is that it seem very vagely defined. Like would we be allowed to add ogl based material to a vtt with dynamic lighting? After all that is a feature that seem even harder to "implement" on proper table top than to throw some crumbled paper from a miniature to your target as a ritual when conjuring some missile made from magic..

ECMO3

Hero
It is terrible I find WOTC's claim that: "Magic Missile streaking across the board to strike your target" as being unauthorized to be VERY offensive and dirty for two reasons.

1. First they are implying that a video representation of a missile streaking across the board is their IP. It isn't, period, unless they are the ones who actually wrote the code doing it and someone stole that code.

2. NOTHING in the description of the magic missile spell even talks about anything streaking anywhere. The description of the spell says they are "glowing darts" and "each dart strikes a creature". There is nothing about something streaking. If I make a video of that, this video is entirely my creative interpretation of what it looks like. I could just as easily make the missiles come down from the heavens, and I could make them look like motes of fire. All of these examples would fit with the description in the spell as well as "missiles streaking across the board"

Enrahim2

Adventurer
It is terrible I find WOTC's claim that: "Magic Missile streaking across the board to strike your target" as being unauthorized to be VERY offensive and dirty for two reasons.
I think the take they are using is not any claim to the ownership of such animations. Rather that thia is an example of a context where they dont want to see their work used.

So it has similarities with the statement that you cannot use srd material alongside "hateful" content in that they dont make any claim of exclusive ownership 8ver everything hateful either :p (I presume)

mamba

Legend
Ha, did not see this thread and just created my own. Reposting my statement here:

I am not liking how restrictive the VTT part is. I want WotC to compete on merit, not by hobbling everybody else.

To that end I was thinking about what would accomplish that, and am now looking for feedback, improvements and support (i.e. bringing it up in the survey).

With that said, this is my proposal: the OGL has to include a clause that applies WotC’s VTT policy to their own VTT.

This solves two things 1) they will obviously remove limitations / it levels the field, 2) while the VTT policy is outside the OGL and therefore can be changed in the future, they are bound to it in the OGL and therefore cannot change that

Feedback is encouraged ;)

Remove ads