• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wand of steam cleaning

abe ray

Explorer
The wand of steam cleaning is a wand covered in valves and whistles. Whenever the wand is pointed at the object to be cleaned & the activation word is uttered the object is covered in a LARGE cloud of harmless steam that COMPLETELY cleans up the object/target! To recharge the wand just place the wand in a bucket of water for about a hour, it sucks in the water in the process of recharging.
What do you think about this magic wand & what spells would you use to make it anyway?
If it helps this is my first attempt at a steampunk magic item.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Presdigitation can clean things. In 3.5 doubling the cost gives infinite use if that wouldn't be abusable--and this doesn't look abusable. The rest is just flavor.

Does it make sense as a concept though?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

The only problem I would have with a player making such an item is I've never run a steampunk world and thus it would be thematically wrong. I have no problem with the power of such an item and I'm pretty sure I would make it be cheaper than the formula says--how often do PCs need to clean something?

If the target were object or creature I think I would charge by the book. There is occasional use for cleaning a PC.

Greenfield

Adventurer
In 1st Ed there was a Wand of Steam and Vapor. Doesn't mean anything, of course, just mentioning.

The wand has an inherent "abuse" available: Enemies coming? "Steam clean" a section of wall, which involves a "huge" cloud of steam. In essence, obscuring mist of a short duration.

As far as Steampunk v not-steampunk, I wouldn't think of it that way. I'd think of it as a Gnomish contraption.

If you want to make it absolutely fly by the rules, look in Magic Item Compendium: There are rules for "Eternal Wands". They work twice a day, and can be used by any Arcane caster. They can only hold Arcane spells (such as Prestidigitation.)

For the record, I'm suggesting a creation mechanic, I'm not in any way recommending the Magic Item Compendium. Everything is over powered and under priced.

In 1st Ed there was a Wand of Steam and Vapor. Doesn't mean anything, of course, just mentioning.

The wand has an inherent "abuse" available: Enemies coming? "Steam clean" a section of wall, which involves a "huge" cloud of steam. In essence, obscuring mist of a short duration.

As far as Steampunk v not-steampunk, I wouldn't think of it that way. I'd think of it as a Gnomish contraption.

If you want to make it absolutely fly by the rules, look in Magic Item Compendium: There are rules for "Eternal Wands". They work twice a day, and can be used by any Arcane caster. They can only hold Arcane spells (such as Prestidigitation.)

For the record, I'm suggesting a creation mechanic, I'm not in any way recommending the Magic Item Compendium. Everything is over powered and under priced.

I wouldn't think the mist would last more than a round at most--how much value is that in getting away???

Dungeoneer

First Post
Honestly, this seems really pointless and ridiculous.

I like it.

Make it a cursed item so the player that picks it up can't get rid of it.

Remove ads