D&D 5E Wandering Monsters: Not-Dragons

the Jester

Legend
"Drake" is way better than "felldrake" (let's get away from "Redfang Felldrake" type names, PLEASE!).

I like most of the drakes just fine. Dragonspawn? Ehh... I have nothing against including them in the game, but I really hope we never have half a Monster Manual devoted to such a specific monster concept again, especially one that is so weak.

Celebrim

Legend
I believe that in general, the magical creatures of D&D have lost their magical mojo because they are all either redressed animals or redressed people. It's not just a problem with drakes. Dragons in D&D or either merely dangerous animals or merely diabolical humans that happen to have wings and really bad morning breath.

In my world, true Dragons are the incarnate rage of wounded creation that resulted from the breaking of the world during the first gods war - the offspring of the mind and body of the mad goddess Tiamat, who boundless rage was provoked by the murder of her family during the god's war. They are the inferno, the tempest, the hurricane, the flood, the blizzard, and the earthquake made flesh. They are breathing hungering natural disasters that exist to spread ruination. They are nightmares. The are in essence a form of native outsider. The lesser drakes incarnate the lesser dangers of the natural world that have resulted since the breaking of creation - the worst, the Wyvern represents all the natural world that has become poisonous and unwholesome. According to myth, several of the lesser drake species were tamed by some of the great saints among the Free Peoples, representing the Free Peoples actually fulfilling (as a rarity) their divine commission to heal the broken world. Other scholars insist that some of the lesser drakes were always fairy folk that had taken up draconic form, or that the draconic form prexisted Tiamat among the fairy folk and was adopted by her and as such the other myths are just so much nonsense. Certainly it is true that Dragons like fairy folk have a strong and mystical connection to nature. Whether maurading dragons cause natural disasters, or impending natural disasters attract dragons is not known - but rarely does one happen without the other.

Whatever is true, a very small number of the lesser drake species are not actively hostile unless provoked and indeed are considered signs of good fortune.

At this time, I've never decided if their are any good true dragons (the metallics) in my world. I'm leaning to 'no' because I've have seen the existence of good dragons create typical deprotagonizing the PC problems from having powerful NPCs around in the past, but as the myth of the reformed drake shows, I have a dormant mechanism for introducing them but it would have involve a truly epic triumph of good or evil before I'd tap into that.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
"If their lair is underground, 60% chance of 2d6 carnivorous apes as guards.'
That's a strange one, but they were thinking Planet of the Apes? Those apes were kinda hobgoblinish...

Spreeth

First Post
Okay, so we have: Dragons, Drakes, Felldrakes, Wyverns, Dragonborn, Dragonspawn...

and then there are the 'snake" variants (Yuanti, Purple Worms, Vipers, Pythons, Wyrms)...

I think that there needs to be a culling of the nests of terms. Do we really need so many variations on the very same theme? I agree with Derren.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I could maybe see drakes as "baby dragons". Basically dragons are so selflish, they don't want children who could rival them or try to take their stuff. True dragon sons and daughters are threats to their treasures and glory. Especially if you live for thousands of years, that could be thousands of kids coming for daddy's wallet and yammering about inheritence. So dragons rarely breed with each other for true births. And some dragons even magically convert a unwanted nest of eggs into a mob of dragonlike things, some even devolve into drakes. Dragonspawn are some versions of this eggs, stolen and corrupted further. Heck you can even tie all nontrue dragons to dragons paranoia over their offspring. All because D&D dragons hate other D&D dragons that much.

But that's just a thought.

I like drakes over felldrakes. i can't not see the "pasture" and "dangerous" definitions of fell and it make the name sound dumb in my head.

I see hobgoblins using redspawn firebelchers as seige weapons. Now THAT's fantasy. Dragon-cannons manned by goblins.

Wicht

Hero
As an extremely casual observer of 5e (haven't been paying the attention I should until the last week or so) is the goal to redo the cosmology all over again with this edition. The idea of revisiting all the monsters seems to suggest yes, or is it, at this point a sort of hit and miss thing, where some things are getting a makeover and some are not.

GSHamster

Adventurer
As an extremely casual observer of 5e (haven't been paying the attention I should until the last week or so) is the goal to redo the cosmology all over again with this edition. The idea of revisiting all the monsters seems to suggest yes, or is it, at this point a sort of hit and miss thing, where some things are getting a makeover and some are not.

It's more that the previous editions have had different variants of the most monsters. Sometimes an evolution, sometimes a radical change. Sometimes the previous editions don't match the source mythology, or are too similar to a different monster. WotC is trying to find the most "resonant" or iconic version of the monster to use in 5E.

Wicht

Hero
It's more that the previous editions have had different variants of the most monsters. Sometimes an evolution, sometimes a radical change. Sometimes the previous editions don't match the source mythology, or are too similar to a different monster. WotC is trying to find the most "resonant" or iconic version of the monster to use in 5E.

So is that a "yes?"

frankthedm

First Post
Take Dragons off their god damned pedestal and include the drakes in the dragon family. There is nothing wrong with most dragons being non sentient monsters.

Remove ads