D&D 5E Wandering Monsters: They Grow on You

MarkB

Legend
As for additional articles, if it hasn't already been done, I'd like them to do an article on monsters-turned-hazards. Back in 3E, some of the "monsters" I was familiar with and that seemed iconic to adventures - green slime, yellow mold, rot grubs and a couple others - were turned into hazards, removed out of the MM and seemed to be sentenced to an obscure paragraph in the DMG. I don't beleive these guys made into 4E (except maybe the rot-grub swarm). And I'd like to see them come back big into the game, possibly even put back in the MM, even if they are essentially 'traps'.

That one's been covered.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Love the myconoids. Used them several times. What I like, is that they are different. All the other monsters just attack you.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
EDIT: Upon a reread, this just occurred to me...

Did you mean "more closely allied with fey"? As they mentioned elf/faye interactions in the article. Did you mean you felt they should be more openly friendly with fey creatures? ...in which case...I see no problem with that and just ignore the above. hahaha.
/EDIT

That is exactly what I meant, I have ignored!

Also, Emantiensien (sp?), the god of Treants is in the Sylvan god section in the 2nd Ed Monstrous Mythology (he is tied to the Seelie Court).

Klaus

First Post
Dryads aren't really that, though. They are the caretakers, maybe. The watchers...they'll help grow or heal plants and trees in their area...but, to my understanding/interpretation at least, they aren't really "protectors" or have the abilities that let them be so. They are, like, a faye extension of the forest made manifest. Traditionally "Tree nymphs." They exist in the pristine untainted natural places...are embodiments of them. If the trees die, so do they. They are as much in need of a treant's protection as the forest itself.

And here's why I think the 4e dryad was an improvement over the previous varieties. They were still "tree nymph" types, beautiful to behold, but could do battle in a tree-like form if threatened. IMHO, the DDN dryad should at least be able to use barkskin and throw shillelagh-powered punches.

One of my favorite treat interpretations was the Warcraft 3 night elf ancients.

Orius

Legend
Myconids have never really been all that interesting to me, but I see their utility. Most Underdark races are hostile, so it's helpful to have something that can be an ally, rather than just using svirfneblin all the time.

There's not really much to do with shambling mounds, but I always saw them as one of those old-school B-movie inspired monster things.

Treants are Ents, hell they were Ents until Tolkien's estate said no. Keep them as Ents with their punny name. I think Neutral suits them better than Chaotic Good though --

"I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side, if you understand me; nobody cares for the woods as I care for them, not even Elves nowadays."

That's Neutral. They don't need to be rigidly Neutral though, you could say that Ents like Quickbeam qualify as Chaotic Good, but Treebeard is a solid Neutral.

Hussar

Legend
Got no particular beefs with this one. I am a big fan of monsters in the monster manual being stuff to kill to be honest. It's ridiculously easy to turn any combat monster into a non-combat one - you simply don't attack. I'd prefer Myconids to be a bit more aggressive. That way they're not just a bunch of circle smoking hippy shrooms. They might be that, or they might be here to take over your town. Bit more unpredictable.

But, meh, not a biggie either way.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Hey! I just noticed...did we miss a "Dragon's Eye View" this week or has it been placed in some other forum?

I mean, entirely possible Mr. Shindehette is on vacation...it is the middle of the summer after all. But I thought they usually came out the same day at Wandering Monsters...or a day after, usually.

Anyone know?

Remove ads