D&D 5E Wandering Monsters: They Grow on You

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Wandering Monsters
They Grow on You

By James Wyatt

This week, James talks about plant monsters, specifically focusing on myconids, shambling mounds, and treants. What do you have to add about these creatures? Come read and then give us your feedback!

What are your thoughts?

dnd_4wand_2012124_pic2_en.jpg

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I found myconid description pretty cool for a mushroom-person. I'd prefer if it'd stipulate that some myconid communities go crazy and become a threat. As for their envorement of "Any Underground", i wish there is some colony possibly found on the surface's forest area, mushroom grow aboveground as well afterall.

I found the shambling mount pretty cool for a shambling plant-monster and liked the lightning live up explanation.

I found the treant description pretty cool for a walking tree. It'd prefer some to be good, neutral and other outright evil—like rotten trees in evil forests.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Myconids were expansive fungal menaces in 4e?!? That's a bit different from the wary hippy fungus dudes blissing out on hallucinogens of other editions. I certainly hope they go back to the former formulation. The poll was going in that direction when I answered it and I hope it continues to do so.

1of3

Explorer
Should we tell them, that fungi are more closely related to animals than plants? ;D

Other than that, loving the mycos, liking the frankenstein mound and indifferent to the treants. I guess, too Tolkien for my taste.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I've actually just used both myconids and treants in my 5th Edition game. They both functioned similarly to how the article described: the myconids sent out spores in distress as the PCs cleared them from a mushroom field, while the treants attacked a bunch of woodsmen burning and chopping back the forest.

And shambling mounds are definitely on my list of monsters to use. :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'll not have it said that I'm not a dragon that can admit when he likes what he sees. Generally speaking, I think a good deal of these Wndering Mosnter columns strike me as unnecessary changes...I'd even go so far as to let you in on a little secret...I've mentally renamed this column, "The Fixin' what Ain't Broke" column...but in this week's case, Wyatt gave us [mostly] exactly what he should...regurgitating the canon of thee creatures and getting it [again, mostly] right. Myconids that exist in hallucinogenic communes and can be allies...Shamblers grow [and are healed?] from lightning...Treants that are, what they've always been, [EDIT] direct ripoff of Tolkien's Ents. [/EDIT]

Granted the description is a bit toooo precise in that way, "treants make amazing seige engines against fortresses" might be taking it a bit too far/close. I mean, they certainly CAN be but do you need to cite a direct scene from the movies/books? But the "Legendary Treant" idea totally works for me. I personally would make this a singular/unique creature within the world...a demi-god of/amongst treants, as it were. But that's neither here nor there.

Albeit changing the alignment to Neutral, which I don't really mind...puts them more in line with Druids, afaiac. Though I might make them "Neutral [Good]". A creature that exists in...and, in fact, is a green growing thing would/should have the understanding that [the bulk of] "Eeeevillll" is in the business of destruction would make them less disinterested/neutral when evil is within or in close proximity/threatening their woods. But that's a nit more than anything else.

I do see [and so will note :) ], however [and am not surprised] that the survey mentions, anyway, the couple of nonsensical changes they are throwing at the walls to see what sticks. i.e. Should we make myconids crazed invaders? Should there be evil treants?...feh. Or are so vague as to be meaningless. i.e. Does this look like a shambling mound to you? Response: "Yes. Yes it does. That's fine." a.k.a. "Don't do anything more to change/ruin it." And judging by the results from last week, their careful wording and limiting responses continues to give them the answers they desire...i.e. "Yes, that's great. Every idea you guys have is gold!"

Now, how much of that is a result of a lack of old schoolers/traditionalists either knowing the articles are there, being members of/having access to the articles (which I am not and would never gain access to these things if they weren't here!! So thanks to @Plaguescarred to keep up with this!), or simply aren't interested enough to give the surveys input...I don't know.

But week after week, the results/percentages presented seem consistently, and I'd say disproportionately, skewed to "Yes that's great. Every idea you guys have is gold!" Last week's poll percentages are almost universally what I would not agree with/want/what I didn't answer. This could also be, of course, that I'm off my rocker and simply out of touch with what today's gamers desire...and I'm ok with that, actually. :p

As for running out of material, has he done "fantasy equines" yet? Seems he could have a cool article with "Unicorns, Centaurs, Pegusi" maybe Hippogriffs too. I know I definitely havent' read 47 of these jobbies so maybe he has. "Bulllywugs, Lizardmen, Troglodytes" seems a natrual combo also. Maybe with Sahuagin, though they might be a better fit for an "Aquatic races" article where he could go into the interactions of same with Mermen/Sea Elves/Locatha...but I think I recall reading something about trog's already...

ANYwho, GOOOOOD MORNING ENworld! I concur and agree with pretty much everything in this week's article. A rare and unexpected pleasure to do so.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
The more I read James' and Jon Shindewhatshisnames columns and check out poll results, the more I realize I am out of touch with what today's D&D player wants.

I feel old. But I guess that is why there is a OSR.

Then again, I loved 4e far more than 3.x and PF.

Maybe I need to seek professional help.

Remove ads