Want a free copy of Grappling For Advanced Students: How To Master Your Chi?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm only posting this offer here (in the ENP forum).

Here's the deal: I will give a free copy of the sequel to Grappling For Beginners to three people. However, I want something in return!

1) You need to post a decent review of Grappling For Beginners here at ENW (you can copy it elsewhere as you wish) and post a link to it here. By decent, I mean the review has to be well done, not that it must say the book is good - you're free to slate the book if you wish! However, please ensure that you download the latest copy from your Bookshelf!

2) The first three people to do so will get an advance playtest copy of Grappling For Advanced Students: How To Master Your Chi! I've finished writing it, but I need feedback. I'd like you to read the book and give me as much feedback as you can (here in the ENP forum is best).

The second book was MUCH harder to write - I prefer redesigning/creating rules to writing new feats and PrCs. The sequel contains no new rules (the idea is to keep the system as simple and elegant as possible), but is a collection of 15 new feats and 3 prestige classes. It's a short book, like the first one, and will retail for the same price ($2.49).

Here's the intro to the book:

Introduction For Advanced Students

So you’ve mastered the basics of grappling and unarmed combat in GRAPPLING FOR BEGINNERS: HOW TO STRIKE, HOLD & THROW!, and you want to learn how to advance your career as a pugilistic, spin-kicking unarmed combatant? You’ve come to the right place!

This book assumes that you have a copy of GRAPPLING FOR BEGINNERS. If you haven’t, you’ll need to buy it before you’ll make any sense out of these pages, because space is tight – nothing is going to be repeated here. Don’t say you weren’t warned – it was written right there on the product page when you bought this book!

So what will you find in these pages? First off, I’m not going to complicate the rules. GRAPPLING FOR BEGINNERS was intended to make the grappling rules easy, and with this book I have no intention of changing that. So what you’ll find here are new feats, prestige classes and so forth, all designed to make your character a better unarmed combatant but not to make your games’ combat sequences more complicated.

Martial Arts & This Book

This book isn’t about detailing various martial arts in great detail, any more than the PHB details various sword-fighting styles in depth. GRAPPLING FOR BEGINNERS approached the concept of unarmed combat in the same abstract way that the core rules approach regular combat, and I continue to assume here that any unarmed fighting style or technique can be abstractly represented by the three basic moves – strike, hold and throw. In the same way, the three prestige classes here concentrate on striking (the pugilist), holds and throws (the wrestler) or a mix of the two with a dash of spiritualism (the martial artist).

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks, PS! One copy of the sequel on its way to you. Please remember this is pre-release, though - if I thought it was "ready", I'd have published it already! Also, ignore the layout problems; they'll be fixed when I release it (you'll get a final copy, too).

BTW, re. your review: the name's "Morrus", not "Morris". :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Heh. I see you've fixed my username in the review, but now you've changed my surname to "Morrusey". :D

For the record: My name is Russell Morrissey. My username is Morrus. The two should not be confused. :)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
What sort of timeperiod would you like a review? I'd be happy to do it, but my reviews historically take a rather long time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I plan to release the sequel towards the end of next week, so the offer will definitely be over by then. Can't say when for certain though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Frukathka said:
I'd be interested in reviewing both for you Morrus.

Well, you need to post a review of the first and you'll get the second for free.

There are two slots left - Primitive Screwhead has already reviewed the first, and so has a copy of the sequel, which he's been very helpful with, suggestion-wise.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Morrus said:
Well, you need to post a review of the first and you'll get the second for free.

There are two slots left - Primitive Screwhead has already reviewed the first, and so has a copy of the sequel, which he's been very helpful with, suggestion-wise.
Nuts, somehow I missed that. My funds are a little tied up at the moment.

Remove ads