Wanting to imitate the Cleave feat for Missile weapons

Numion

First Post
There's already a feat for archery cleave. It's called Rapid Shot. Both it gives archers extra attack, Cleave gives meleers. In addition meleers lose attacks because they must spend time moving to get into range.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer.

Caliber

Explorer
I am reminded of the feat in Darwin's World called Rip-A-Clip. Essentially it is a ranged Cleave. The thing is, its just another attack. Basicly you fire arrows so fast you strike down the first target while the second is still in the air. I think there is some rule that they have to be so close together.

Anyway, just 2 cents.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
IMO, piercing through an opponent and hitting the guy behind should be a function of the weapon, not the wielder.

To use a modern analogy:

Anyone can fire a bullet that'll punch through a grown man's torso if he uses a M-16.

Nobody can fire a bullet that'll punch through a grown man's torso using an old .38 revolver.

So if you want an arrow punching through an orc, you should design a new enchantment, not a new feat.

If you want cool feats for ranged weapons, think about feat allowing ranged disarm, pinning an opponent to the wall with a projectile etc. Dragon magazine had a few of those in a Robin Hood themed issue a while back.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Numion said:
There's already a feat for archery cleave. It's called Rapid Shot. Both it gives archers extra attack, Cleave gives meleers. In addition meleers lose attacks because they must spend time moving to get into range.

That's not a particularly good analogy. It's like saying that TWF and Ambidex are substitutes for Cleave.

I agree with Quickbeam; it seems needlessly limiting (and hard to adjudicate) to have the "in-line" requirement for this feat. I would allow one extra attack if you take down a target, against any other target that is adjacent and within 30 feet. I would put a stack of prereqs on it, though, because ranged weapons in 3E can be brutal as it is.

Malin Genie

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
IMO, piercing through an opponent and hitting the guy behind should be a function of the weapon, not the wielder.

To use a modern analogy:

Anyone can fire a bullet that'll punch through a grown man's torso if he uses a M-16.

Nobody can fire a bullet that'll punch through a grown man's torso using an old .38 revolver.

So if you want an arrow punching through an orc, you should design a new enchantment, not a new feat.

Well put.

I think that while disbelief can and must be suspended in a fantasy game, I refuse to see a halfling putting a sling stone through a giant, even if the giant is already wounded..

Numion

First Post
hong said:

That's not a particularly good analogy. It's like saying that TWF and Ambidex are substitutes for Cleave.

Maybe not, but if you make a ranged cleave feat, I insist that you also make a 'Rapid Hack' feat that gives meleers extra attack, just to please King Balance ;)

Fenris

Adventurer
I actually like the idea and will use it in my campaign. I will make the prereqs point blamk shot and require both targets to be within 30 ft. I will also restrict it to heavy crossbows and strength bows. The mechanics I will use are a critical is needed on the first target with a -5 attack on the second. I think the range limitation and the need for a critical hit limit the usefulness of this feat well enough that only dedicated archer will take it. Thanks for the idea.

Remove ads