• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War of the Burning Sky 4E Subscription Now Available!

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm sure you understand that if we subscribed to the 3.5 version then we've already paid $50 once, and it's hard to justify laying out another full $50 when a fair bit of the content will be stuff we already own.

On a GM's note -- will the 4e version also target levels 1-20, or will it spread up to higher levels?

So Freeport 4e, build on the materials from 3rd ed, will be substaintaily cheaper for those who own previous Freeport material? Casue I don't remember that happening with the 3.0 to 3.5 conversion and there was a lot less effort involved in that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm sure you understand that if we subscribed to the 3.5 version then we've already paid $50 once, and it's hard to justify laying out another full $50 when a fair bit of the content will be stuff we already own.

Yes. Like I said, if we can do it without *paying* for the privilage, we will. I can understand people not wanting to buy a new edition of stuff, though - just look at D&D! We're kinda forced to follow suit. :)

On a GM's note -- will the 4e version also target levels 1-20, or will it spread up to higher levels?
They're all being rewritten for 4E, going from 1-30.

catsclaw227

First Post
See.... I don't mind paying $50 again for the full subscription because I am expecting there to be a fair difference in the way it's put together and mechanically it will be very different.

I just hope the PDF is in full color! And maybe we'll even get battlemaps (if some of the existing maps change).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
See.... I don't mind paying $50 again for the full subscription because I am expecting there to be a fair difference in the way it's put together and mechanically it will be very different.

Yup. We're not just converting the stat blocks. We're rewriting them to fit the 4E game assumptions.

2WS-Steve

First Post
So Freeport 4e, build on the materials from 3rd ed, will be substaintaily cheaper for those who own previous Freeport material? Casue I don't remember that happening with the 3.0 to 3.5 conversion and there was a lot less effort involved in that.

Perhaps explaining why I bought Freeport 3e and didn't bother buying Freeport 3.5!

Look, I understand that there's a fair bit of work involved in the update.

But, unlike a print update, you don't have to pay for a bunch of paper and binding in PDF. And re-using art and maps are a big savings.

And some of us bought 3.5 Burning Skies even though we knew 4e was coming and that we were going to switch over because we like supporting ENWorld and figured there'd be some reasonable middle-ground for getting a 4e version down the line.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perhaps explaining why I bought Freeport 3e and didn't bother buying Freeport 3.5!

Look, I understand that there's a fair bit of work involved in the update.

But, unlike a print update, you don't have to pay for a bunch of paper and binding in PDF. And re-using art and maps are a big savings.

And some of us bought 3.5 Burning Skies even though we knew 4e was coming and that we were going to switch over because we like supporting ENWorld and figured there'd be some reasonable middle-ground for getting a 4e version down the line.

Steve, it's OK if the deal isn't worth it to you! Every purchaser of a product or service has to make that decision. We almost didn't go ahead with the 4E version because we acknowledged that we'd suffer from the law of diminishing returns; that's fine.

Because people asked for it, we decided to go ahead anyway. But the margins are incredibly tight; it costs as much to update them as it did to write them in the first place.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy something you don't want to buy - this is purely for those who want a 4E version of WotBS.

I'm sure that, as a publisher yourself, you appreciate that math is math, and no good intentions can get around the fact that you can't sell your product for less than it costs you to produce it!

Last edited:

Do lulu still have that cheap flat rate shipping option for Europe? I've heard that they increased their shipping prices dramatically, forcing some publishers (Redbrick doing Earthdawn, fx) to seek other options.

Panthanas

Explorer
There ya go. One subscription ordered. :)

I have the 3.5 pdfs but I think I'd like to run this with 4E when I eventually wrap up my 3.5 Ptolus game.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
Sold. I've been waiting for an epic 4e campaign to come my way, excluding the Scales of War Adventure Path (not the kind of game I was looking for). I can't wait to run this for my group - good timing, too now that a lot of us have our hands on PHB2.

Remove ads