• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Ward]

[Ward]. A pretty big one.

I'm pricing the locus (static/mobile) as 0; you default to one which you specify in the development process, or pay +4 flexibility. I'm using exponential area factors which successively double, not quadruple, for area: i.e. 10-ft.r -> 20-ft.r -> 40-ft.r -> 80-ft.r. It kind of makes more sense to me, if ranges quadruple exponentially - don't know if you agree. Effects all (D).

I'll start with antimagic shell. I've priced 2 epic benefits - the first, to counter prismatic sphere, wall of force etc,; the second to counter all epic spells. I felt it was deserving of a double application. Epic [dispel] still works against it.

Antimagic field (+36) + Heighten to 10th (+4) + Epic Benefit (prismatic sphere) (+4) + Epic Benefit (all magic) (+4) + Exp Widen x3 (+9) + Exp Extend (+2) = 59.

The only difference between globe of invulnerability and minor globe of invulnerability are two heightenings and the ability to extend to 4th-level spells. This would cost it +10SP per spell level warded. This seems really high, but I'm going to run with it - I'm assuming a 30-factor feat will be available. This makes a [ward] against 1st-9th level effects available to a 30th-level wizard if he pares back the area.

I'm also assuming that spells Heightened above 9th will penetrate the [ward]; Matt is screwed otherwise. You could extend the ward to 10th-level, 11th-level effects etc. Another feat (at level 40 or so) might push Jake ahead of the game again for a little while.

Lesser Globe of invulnerability (+24) + Heighten (+6) + Exp Widen x3 (+9) + Exp Extend x4 (+8) + 4th level spells (+8) + Epic benefit (immunity to nonepic dispel) (+4) = 59.

I'm costing additional categories of creature at +4 each, folding outsiders and elementals in, and leaving only constructs and undead beyond the remit of the spell:

Antilife shell (+36) + Heighten (+4) + Reduced Casting Time (+2) + Exp Extend (+2) + Exp Widen x3 (+9) + Extra Creature Types (+8) = 61.

Dimensional Anchor (+48) + Heightened (+2) + Reduced Range (-2) + Reduced Duration (-2) + Exp Widen x2 (+6) + Epic Benefit (block extradimensional perception and attacks, automatically defeats [transport]) (+4) = 56. A little light, but it's OK. Generous buyback for duration available.

Prismatic Sphere (+54) + Heightened (+1) + Exp Widen x3 (+9) + Exp Extend (+2) = 66.

I'm assuming most targeted effects can be subsumed in [augment] at present. I also propose that we deconstruct [force] (which I was never happy about), and move mage armor to [augment].

Forbiddance might be a good esoteric seed.

[Ward]
Abjuration

Root Spell: Dimensional anchor, antimagic field, antilife shell, globe of invulnerability, prismatic sphere
Preferred Mitigation: Any
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 80 ft.
Area: 80-ft. radius emanation centered on you or a point in space; see text
Duration: 20 hours
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text

The [ward] seed allows the generation of a spherical emanation which protects you and your allies against hostile creatures and effects.

Locus
A spell developed with the [ward] seed may specify a static locus (the emanation persists if you leave it), or a mobile locus (the spell moves with you). You determine the nature of the locus during spell development; to devise a spell which allows you to decide this parameter upon casting, increase the Spellcraft Prererequisite by +4. If you apply a factor which changes the range of the spell to touch or greater, you can specify an object or willing creature within range as the locus of the ward when you cast the spell.

The various effects available with [ward] are detailed below.

Antimagic Zone
You create a zone in which all magic and supernatural effects are automatically nullified, including effects such as a prismatic sphere, a wall of force or any epic spell. The abilities of artifacts are suppressed in an epic antimagic zone. Only a targeted spell using the [dispel] seed is effective against this ward.

• Mitigating Factor (-4SP): Apply this factor for a more limited antimagic zone (which has the same qualities as the nonepic antimagic field).

Dimensional Ward
You create a shimmering emerald barrier that completely blocks extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like or psionic abilities. Epic spells making use of the [transport] seed cannot penetrate this ward. A dimensional lock generated by the [ward] seed also blocks extradimensional perception and attack forms.

• Mitigating Factor (-4SP): Apply this factor to create a less rigorous [ward]: extradimensional perception and attacks work within the ward, and epic spells making use of the [transport] seed are entitled to an opposed caster level check to penetrate the [ward].

Spell Invulnerability
An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 4th level or lower. The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the ward: such spells fail to affect any target located within the area. Excluded effects include spell-like abilities and spells or spell-like effects from items. However, any type of spell can be cast through or out of the emanation. Spells of 5th level and higher are not affected by the ward, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast. The globe can be brought down only by a targeted spell using either the [destroy] or [dispel] seed.

Spell effects are not disrupted unless their effects enter the globe, and even then they are merely suppressed, not dispelled.

If a given spell has more than one level depending on which character class is casting it, use the level appropriate to the caster to determine whether lesser globe of invulnerability stops it.

• Factor: For each additional level of spell effects to be excluded, add +8 to the Spellcraft Prerequisite.

Antilife Effect
You bring into being an energy field that prevents the entrance of most types of living creatures. The effect hedges out animals, aberrations, dragons, elementals, fey, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, outsiders, oozes, plants, and vermin, but not constructs or undead.

• Factor (+4SP): Extend the remit of the spell to exclude an additonal creature type.

This spell may be used only defensively, not aggressively. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier.

• Condition: This restriction is lifted if [ward] combines with another seed.

Prismatic Ward (+6SP)
You conjure up an immobile, opaque globe of shimmering, multicolored light that surrounds you and protects you from all forms of attack. The sphere flashes in all colors of the visible spectrum. You can pass through and remain near the ward without harm. However, any other creature with less than 8 HD that is within 20 feet of the ward is blinded for 2d4x10 minutes by the colors if it looks at the wall. When you’re inside it, the sphere blocks any attempt to project something through the sphere (including spells). Other creatures that attempt to attack you or pass through suffer the effects of each color, one at a time.

Typically, only the upper hemisphere of the globe will exist, since you are at the center of the sphere, so the lower half is usually excluded by the floor surface you are standing on.

The wall can be destroyed, color by color, in consecutive order, by various magical effects; however, the first color must be brought down before the second can be affected, and so on. A rod of cancellation or a mage’s disjunction spell destroys a prismatic effect, but an antimagic field fails to penetrate it. Targeted epic spells developed with [dispel] or [destroy] can dispel the ward: an opposed caster level check is required in each case. Spell resistance is effective against a prismatic ward, but the caster level check must be repeated for each color present.

• Factor (+4SP): Create a prismatic [ward] against which only an epic spell incorporating [dispel] or [destroy] is effective.
  • Allied Immunity (+4SP): Designate up to 20 additional creatures who can pass through the ward unharmed; by increasing this factor to +10, you can designate any number of creatures whom you specify immune to the ward's effect.

Universal Factors

The following factor may be applied to any application of the [ward] seed:

• Extended Duration (+2SP): Applying this factor increases the base duration of the spell to 20 days; use this figure as the base duration when calculating further extensions.

Dunno. It's a start. Knowing where to peg invulnerability and susceptibility to epic [dispel] or [destroy] is tricky; I've assumed that generally, the defensive spell has the advantage in most situations where another spell threatens.

How should an epic prismatic effect and an epic antimagic effect interact? Two epic antimagic effects?

I've also assumed that as an epic benefit [transport] can penetrate a nonepic forbiddance or dimensional lock with an opposed caster level check.

I'm not convinced that a spell with a mobile locus offers anything of an advantage, btw. Each has its own benefits. Lastly, what do you think of this line:

Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier.

It's from the text of antilife shell. Should it apply to a mobile prismatic sphere as well?

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Globe of Invulnerability is a weird one. My formula for mass effects would price a 10-ft. radius emanation as a +6. But I am not accounting for the fact that it doesn't affect spells that predate the creation of the globe. This is probably a +0 toggle; it allows previously cast buffs to be preserved, which benefits the caster as much as it hurts him. If the toggle were set to affect all lower level spells then it should probably affect continuous magic items and supernatural abilities too.

The lack of mobility seems to be a serious disadvantage. Most "mobile" spells have a mechanism to keep them in one spot; you can cast a silence on an object or creature if you want it to be mobile, or you can cast it on a point of space if you don't. I don't know if mobility should be the default, in which case a globe includes a hefty penalty, or if mobility is a bonus factor.

One thing I had considered was a linear scaling of spell levels:

Cantrip: 2
1st: 4
2nd: 6
3rd: 8
4th: 10
5th: 12

etc. It would mean that a lesser globe of invulnerability would block cantrips to 3rd level spells at a cost of 20 SP; incorporate 6 SP as an area factor and you'd have a 4th level spell. Add 4th level spells for 10 SP and you have 36 SP; exactly a 6th level spell. Unfortunately this makes blocking everything up to 9th level spells a very expensive proposition: 116 SP in kernelese, or 80 SP in seed form. Which seems ridiculously expensive.

But if the difference between blocking 3rd and 4th level spells is the difference between a 4th level spell and a 6th level spell, then it is hard to arrange it so that a high powered globe *isn't* unreasonably expensive.

8 SP per spell level might work (cantrips require 4 SP); count the lack of mobility as a -6 mitigation and the kernelese value for the lesser globe comes out as 28; a strong 4th. The greater globe would be 36; exactly a 6th level spell. 9th level spells would be 76 in kernelese, or 40 SP. Still expensive, but you'd be shutting down 20th level spellcasters, so maybe it shouldn't be much cheaper. And if there's a feat that helps out such things you could protect your castle against non-epic magic. Or a high level Matt with lots of Heightening.

Ironically, an antimagic shell seems to be like an improved globe; it blocks all levels of spells, shuts down magic items and supernatural abilities, blocks line of effect, and is mobile. But unlike the globe there are no gaps in its coverage that a spellcaster can take advantage of. Maybe it is the gaps that make a globe effect so expensive.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I didn't notice you had added/modified this seed until today! :eek:

A few thoughts:

You create a shimmering emerald barrier...
I'm thinking that the visual effect should fade to normal sight after a round, and be visible thereafter only to true seeing or arcane sight or something. Maybe a visible green glow appears if someone tries to penetrate the barrier. It seems to be the kind of thing you would put on a stronghold or city, and should be inconspicuous.

Factor-wise it seems like there would be a lot of things someone might want to do with it. Block people from entering the zone, but not leaving. Or the reverse. Allow travel within the zone, but not crossing the boundaries. Allow transportation to and/or from a particular plane, but not any other form of planar travel or transportation. Allow transportation only at particular times (midnight? Midsummer? At 14 past the hour?). Instead of transportation failing, cause would be travellers to take damage instead. Or be shunted to a magical prison (save and SR should be allowed!).

Or one of these options, but a few "safe zones" are exempt. Or a few designated individuals. Or someone who knows the password. Or some combination of these.

These effects I would price base on forbiddance. Ignore the damaging ability (pretend it cancels the longer casting time and expensive material component) and widen extravagantly.

Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier
I'd rather the creature receives some sort of penalty if forced inside. A -4 to all d20 rolls, or something.

I'm not quite sure how this mechanic works, to tell you the truth. If someone takes a running jump and hits an anti-life barrier, do they stop in mid-air? If they are dropped on the barrier from above, will the barrier support them? If so, shouldn't you be able to push creatures out of the way? If so, does this count as an offensive use?

Rather than hedging someone out, cursing them while they remain inside would be good. A -4 to all rolls or something. Couldn't you see a xenophobic city with such a ward against everyone who isn't of the dominant race?

[edit] A mobile prismatic sphere would destroy everything it touched, right? Because of the violet layer. But if it could not be used offensively... what does that mean? That the destructive effects are suspended while you are moving?

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm still thinking about the dimension lock/forbiddance application of [ward].

Most of the conditions mentioned in my previous post could be specified by a flexibility factor. +2 SP for one kind of exemption (specifying a key or password or designated individuals or time of day or something), +4 SP for up to 4 exemptions, +6 for any number. Substitutions would require different factors, perhaps tertiary seeds (those +6 SP ones). Add +6 of [blast] in order to do damage to would-be interlopers. Add +6 and [teleport] to shunt them to a prison cell (SR applies, will save negates). Add +6 and [afflict] to curse them while in the warded area.

An 80 ft. radius is probably OK. Or perhaps a shapeable area (S, not FS) of 20 60-ft. cubes or something. Hmmm. The volume of those squares (based on forbiddance) is more than an 80-ft. radius sphere. And (S) is an advantage. Maybe the cubes are static, but the radius is mobile?

Although it would be nice if you could add a [weather] aggregate to the 80-ft. radius to broaden it to cover a city. (Immobile, of course) If a [weather] aggregate adds +24 SP, and if an exponential widening factor is +3, then an 80 ft. radius becomes a 4 mile radius, which should be adequate. A spot/spellcraft check to notice a greenish tint to the skies?

I'm hesitant about making it naturally permanent, although forbiddance is. You could spend xp, I guess, but the problem with such a maneuver is that one [dispel] takes down the whole ward, and all that xp is wasted.

[edit]

A global exception (e.g. only protects against planar travel, not folks who begin their journey from the same plane) would be worth a mitigating factor. And the dimension lock function might actually be a mitigated form of a more comprehensive ward, one that prevents mundane travel as well (walking, flying, swimming, etc.).

By statting up the [comprehensive ward] you could then add mitigating factors to make a [dimension lock]; the complementary set of mitigating factors wouldn't prevent teleportation or planar travel, but would effectively be a [zone of immobility]. Further mitigations (prevent beings of a particular from entering the area) would end up being your anti-life field. A [comprehensive ward] would probably be a meta-seed. I don't think you could fit it into 60 points of kernelese.

Dunno about the [prismatic] effect. The +6 modifier almost suggests that it is really a flavor element of an esoteric seed. Can you add elements of a seed that you don't know?

The [prismatic] effect blurs what otherwise would be a natural division between antimagic/invulnerability and forbiddance/dimensional anchor. [Ward] is gonna be a rather heterogenous seed if it encompasses all of this. I'd rather it be an [antimagic] seed and a [forbiddance] seed, myself. (Or [ward] instead of [forbiddance]). Although to replicate a [forbiddance] you'd need a secondary (or tertiary) [blast] seed, to provide the damaging capacity.

I should probably try to quantify some of these qualitative considerations.

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
You're saying it's only a +4 SP to allow the ward to move with the caster? This seems a little low in my opinion.

I'm not 100% sure but are you saying you feel it's a +8 SP to boost the ward to the next level of spells? IE moving it from 4th to 5th level? This just seems way too low. The Ward Seed says it's +20 per spell level? I know this is a hard one to really gauge but it can't be directly linear can it?

Maybe something like spell level X 2 above fourth? That makes it a 10 DC for 5th and 12 for sixth, etc? It just seems that going from 8th to 9th level should be at least a LITTLE higher.

I'd also like to discuss what you're thinking for boosting ability scores. I think it was suggested before but I really think the DC should be based on the recipients current ability score? Maybe it's static and based on what you're check is to the recipients? IE the spell that's created is DC XX+ and then based on your check compared to what the recipients ability score is the result is figured? IE you could boost someone with a 10 to 30 but someone with a 30 to only 38 with a similar check? What do you think?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Our system is based on ranks rather than DCs, and most of the numbers are a lot smaller than in the ELH. If you read the first part of the big thread, you'll get an idea of where we're coming from. Although much of that work has been superseded by later stuff.

Thanks for posting, BTW - the project needs a new surge of energy, and your comments and suggestions might be just the thing.

sithramir

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Our system is based on ranks rather than DCs, and most of the numbers are a lot smaller than in the ELH. If you read the first part of the big thread, you'll get an idea of where we're coming from. Although much of that work has been superseded by later stuff.

Thanks for posting, BTW - the project needs a new surge of energy, and your comments and suggestions might be just the thing.

I'm freaking out because I can no longer find the main thread that Sep has all the rules in. I'm not sure if i'm crazy but can you point it out to me? For some odd reason I can't find it and i'm not sure why. Apparently i'm starting the new year off as an idiot.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It's just a little bit further down the page in the forum this thread is in.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=172905

I don't really like how the globe of invulnerability is implemented. As far as spells go it is very strangely designed; I don't like the notion of its mechanics being enshrined in our Epic Magic rules. I think I would prefer it to be a shell that blocks line of effect (for low level spells) from outside to inside, but not vice versa. And thus block spreads, bursts and emanations from including the interior of the globe.

The business about timing (spells cast before the GoI aren't affected) just seems metaphysically wonky. And folks entering a recently cast globe might lose some buffs but not others- which leads to problems with recalculating statistics that could be avoided.

Any objection to pretending that a GoI being a one-way barrier for low level spells?

Remove ads