Warhammer FRPG 2nd Edition Books return to PDF via Cubicle 7

Cubicle 7 Entertainment have just made available the range of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition PDFs through Drivethrurpg and RPGNow. Cubicle 7’s highly anticipated 4th edition of the game is based upon the 1st and 2nd editions so now’s your chance to refresh your memory and fill in the gaps in your collection!

Cubicle 7 Entertainment have just made available the range of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition PDFs through Drivethrurpg and RPGNow. Cubicle 7’s highly anticipated 4th edition of the game is based upon the 1st and 2nd editions so now’s your chance to refresh your memory and fill in the gaps in your collection!

The twenty five titles that have been rereleased in PDF are also part of the site-wide Christmas in July campaign that is currently running across the DriveThruRPG/RPGNow which means they also have up to 25% discount on the prices until 31st July making them even more of a bargain!

The range was originally designed by Green Ronin Publishing and published by Black Industries, a division of Games Workshop.

Whatever the licence does actually allow, we can only guess. Having the right to distribute 2nd edition materials doesn't automatically mean having the right to do the same with 1st edition ones too. GW is heavily jealous and overtly protective of its IP, so I'm not that sure C7 has any right to books whose fluff is divergent in a lot of ways from the canon of the Warhammer World post-WHFB 4th edition.

Moreover, releasing PDFs obtained through some able Google-fu could be not necessarily in appliance to a signed contract!

Let's see what happens, just hoping GW doesn't play its usual trick with the game/license (I'm quite confident in C7 knowing full well how to approach licensed material and its contracts, as those are the bread-and-butter of the company!).
The 4th edition is stated to be based upon 2nd and 1st editions. It would be a very strange situation for GW to immediately slap a restriction for 1st edition materials when the 4th edition is already going to be divergent from Age of Sigmar.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
The new edition will return players to Warhammer's grim world of perilous adventure, and takes its direction from the first and second editions of the game.

Cubicle 7’s highly anticipated 4th edition of the game will take its cues from the 1st and 2nd editions

Bold mine.

Those are the only official statements about the game up until now. I won't expect the game to be based (as they've actually avoided this particular expression) on both the previous editions: I fear you're reading too much into those press releases.

Feeroper

Explorer
I'm certainly tempted to get the core book - I've never played Warhammer FRP before but I've always admired the tone they have. Is the 2nd edition regarded as a good one?

I'm certainly tempted to get the core book - I've never played Warhammer FRP before but I've always admired the tone they have. Is the 2nd edition regarded as a good one?
Yes. It was a full colour book, and for the most part they polished up the system by ironing the system glitches from the first, rather than trying to totally reinvent the wheel. They also introduced a more themed magic system (based upon colleges of colour), which was deliberately chaotic (in the same way wild Sorcerers can be in D&D). The previous system was loosely similar to that found in games like RuneQuest.

There are some setting changes (evolving with the GW canon), but honestly so minor that you'd have to be a serious grognard to really care that much. 1st edition had a bigger core rules book with more setting, but a lot less supplements, so it balances out.

The only edition I wouldn't go for is 3rd edition, where they actually did try to figuratively reinvent the wheel.

Henry

Autoexreginated
VERY worth it, for all the reasons described above.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The 2nd edition rules were not perfect - they still never really answered the question of why player characters didn't have specific 'adventurer' careers, and Dwarves in armour were almost literally unkillable - but it was a really enjoyable game for me. Easy to run, with a system that is best viewed as a combination between D20 action economy and BRP D100 skills, and a setting that is redolent in plot opportunities.

aramis erak

Legend

All three editions have their fans.

Many fans of 1E and 2E actually liked 3E...

2E is a more flexible engine, but 1E has a slightly darker and more slapstick feel.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads