• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock and Sorcerer

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Love the warlock, it's everything I want an arcane caster to be.

Sorcerer I'm iffier on, the spell point system seems...I don't know. Rushed? The abilities that trigger by spending willpower are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing less spells and more stuff like that. Honestly, between dragon strength, the proficiencies, the HPs, and the stuff you get as the willpower depletes, the spells are almost superfluous.

As I keep thinking about it, sorcerer seems like it would be really cool if they took it in that direction, and left spells mostly out of it. Give them less willpower overall, only a few spell or spell-like options, and more of a "hulk-out" feel as the willpower drops.

FireLance

Legend
Cross-posted from the "new materials available" thread:

Interesting!

The sorcerer is a point-based spellcaster that gains constant benefits after he has expended a certain number of spell points ("willpower"). The more willpower he has expended, the more benefits he gets. Hence, his at-will baseline effectiveness increases as he expends his daily spike capability. Sorcerer spells appear to be a subset of the wizard spell list.

The warlock is effectively an encounter-based spellcaster, using "favors" from his patron to power pact boons and lesser invocations (he can use minor invocations at will, without expending favors) which can be regained after a short rest or a long rest. He also gains access to certain spells, but he can only cast them as rituals unless he gains spellcasting ability from another source.

Thumbs up from me. :)

Danzauker

Adventurer
Love the warlock, it's everything I want an arcane caster to be.

Sorcerer I'm iffier on, the spell point system seems...I don't know. Rushed? The abilities that trigger by spending willpower are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing less spells and more stuff like that. Honestly, between dragon strength, the proficiencies, the HPs, and the stuff you get as the willpower depletes, the spells are almost superfluous.

As I keep thinking about it, sorcerer seems like it would be really cool if they took it in that direction, and left spells mostly out of it. Give them less willpower overall, only a few spell or spell-like options, and more of a "hulk-out" feel as the willpower drops.

Since armor proficiency and weapon attack bonus increase by virtue of the bloodline, I'm quite positive the one presented is the "macho build" of the classe.

I think it's quite probable there will be another that focuses more on the spellcasting side.

Eldritch Blast, 3d6 or 4d6 each hit - sorry Fighter, you had a good run at being good for a while there.

A level 1 Fighter with Str 17 and a Greatsword deals 13 damage (6.5 weapon + 3 Str + 3.5 expertise) average per hit.

A level 1 Warlock with Int 17 deals 10.5 average per hit with Eldritch Blast.

A level 3 Fighter with Str 17 and a Greatsword deals 14 damage average per hit.

A level 4 Warlock with Int 17 deals 14 average per hit with Eldritch Blast.

A level 5 Fighter with Str 17 and a Greatsword deals 18.5 damage average per hit.

Last edited:

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Since armor proficiency and weapon attack bonus increase by virtue of the bloodline, I'm quite positive the one presented is the "macho build" of the classe.

I think it's quite probable there will be another that focuses more on the spellcasting side.
Oh, certainly. But I still like the transformative aspect quite a bit. I could see a flame bloodline, for example.

You gain abilities like burning hands and fireball by spending willpower, but gain fire resistance (or immunity at higher levels), a flame aura that damages nearby enemies, a melee attack that does fire damage, and at the end, your very stride creates a wall of fire effect.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I like what I see, the damage needs to be tonned down, but overall I like both classes. It seems as if they took everything I iked about the sorcerer and ran with it, I was expecting the following from the sorcerer:

-More hit points than wizards
-Better weapon proficiencies
-The chance of cast in armor
-Support to be on melee (wizards shoot, sorcerers smash)
-Bloodline being a defining factor (and how!)
-Spontaneous casting (I don't mind the current "mana points" system, it is simple and intuitive)
-Slower DC and spell level advancement
-Variety of spell effects.
-No access to spells as rituals (rituals go agaisnt the fluff of the class, but I guess some bloodlinnes will allow it)

The only thing I don't like so far is that we've only seen the vanilla draconic sorcerer, and we have too few 1st level spells for variety to show up, but I understand that over time we will see fey, celestial, infernal, elemental and primordial bloodlines, each one affecting sorcerers in a deep way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads