warlock scout questions

Shin Okada

Explorer
If I were you I will make a human character, just take a level of Scout and then take warlock levels only thereafter.

Take Able Learner feat at the 1st-level and you can need only 1 skill point to take a rank of Scout's class skill when leveling-up as a warlock.

Unfortunately, there is no practiced-spellcaster/manifester feat for warlock. So, multiclassed warlock suffer much from decreased caster level. So I would minimize the scout level.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Actually, concealment does not allow sneak attacking.

Yes, if a foe has concealment to your attack, you cannot normally sneak attack him. Which is why this enterprising Warlock/whatever was going to take Devil's Sight, to see in magical darkness and not suffer from the concealment it offers on his attacks. I believe I noted this, in much fewer words, earlier on.

EDIT: All the answers are in my text you originally quoted. If you meant you can't sneak attack someone with concealment, I stated "(which would normally mean no SA, but the devil's sight invocation takes care of that)." If you meant concealment alone does not afford you the ability to sneak attack, I said, "...you just have concealment to them (which allows hiding and sneak attacking, yes)." Concealment does not let you sneak attack. It lets you hide. Which lets you sneak attack. Not implied, I said it outright.

Last edited:

Elethiomel

First Post
If you meant you can't sneak attack someone with concealment, I stated "(which would normally mean no SA, but the devil's sight invocation takes care of that)." If you meant concealment alone does not afford you the ability to sneak attack, I said, "...you just have concealment to them (which allows hiding and sneak attacking, yes)." Concealment does not let you sneak attack. It lets you hide. Which lets you sneak attack. Not implied, I said it outright.
When I said implied I was referring to the ambiguity of your sentence. "[concealment] allows hiding and sneak attacking" can be interpreted to mean,
"concealment allows hiding, and hiding allows sneak attacking", or
"concealment allows hiding and concealment allows sneak attacking".
As only the first interpretation conforms to the game rules, I thought it was obvious. But apparently some did not, so I decided to clarify. I did not mean to say you intentionally misled anyone or stated things by implication, merely that your language was ambiguous and as such I could not say for certain what you meant, only what I *thought* you meant. Apologies.

calighis

First Post
Can weapon Finesse be applied to eldritch glaive?
What about sneak attack damage?
Does str damage apply?
If so then I am starting to see a Warlock\rouge build here rather than scout.
probably a human or strong heart halfling
feats would include able learner and weapon finesse (if applicable)

irdeggman

First Post
Does str damage apply?
If so then I am starting to see a Warlockrouge build here rather than scout.

I do not believe weapon finesse applies since it is not a "light weapon".

I am not sure how specific it says the weapon is but I believe it is treated as a glaive which means it is a two handed weapon (and not a light one) so all the things that normally apply still would. 1 1/2 str mod to damage, etc.

Remember that a reach weapon still has to deal with soft cover but it is still a melee weapon so you use your str mod for attacks and not your dex mod.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Does str damage apply?
If so then I am starting to see a Warlockrouge build here rather than scout.

The Weapon Finesse on the Eldritch Glaive has been debated since the Glaive was introduced (in Dragon Magic). You really have to ask your DM about it, since everyone has a different opinion and there is no black-and-white yes or no in RAW.

SA would apply since you are making attack rolls. Str damage is iffier... Normally, it wouldn't apply to your standard EB, but this is a special case. I'd have to say apply 1-1/2 your STR, like irdeggman.

Definitely try to get your DM to allow Practiced Spellcaster (maybe change the name to Practiced Invoker) for your warlock levels. If PrCs can still give you a boost with +1 spellcasting, why can't that feat make up for some of your losses?

I would go Human. Strongheart halfling would probably be good, but the higher movement speed would probably be to your advantage with EG. (I could be wrong, but I don't have access to the Strongheart.)

Able Learner would probably be a good choice. Only bother with Weapon Finesse if your DM says "okay" on the finessable Glaive (since it is a touch attack).

Be a little careful of the Rogue levels. If you do the Darkness, hide, Glaive, it could work, but you need to pump your Hide check like madness (and you are stuck if it messes up and the enemy sees you). You could also Darkness, hide, Blast, but both of those take a good bit of time. I don't have Scout, but as I recall, you only need to move 10 ft. to trigger Skirmish. That would be a lot easier, and I would suggest dropping the Eldritch Glaive and focusing on ranged touch attack boosts.

Last edited:

Sharkon

First Post
My suggestion is to take 5 lvls in scout and all the rest in warlock class so that you take improved skirmish and practised spellcaster feats. As fas as the items are concerned take from magic item compedium the gloves of eldritch admixture (2200 gp) and skirmisher boots (3200 gp). Check what both do, they are awesome items for their price !

Remove ads