• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlocks and Xanathar's

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Hello gang,

Broken record here...I like warlocks...a lot. It is sad but true: while some people want to try lots of different classes, I am really at present only drive to try all of the different patrons and pacts. I really like the variety and the inclusion of new invocations opens up a lot IMHO.

I was interested in next playing a celestial patron. But it seems to me that as much as patron, some of the new invocations really encourage new options. In combination, you can really change your playstyle.

Case in point: Tomb of Levistus paired with healing light. The ability to soak up to say 60 HP at sixth level on a reaction is nice. Add to this the fact that you can heal yourself with a bonus action with healing light and I am seeing a reasonably durable character.

I was thinking about a witch hunting commoner...white wizard sort...but really wanted some in your face staying power (clearly not that of a fighter).

Playing with feats, I was thinking variant human with moderately armored and weapon master for big weapons. By level 4, you are no hexblade, but you are something different. I like this package of abilities and the roleplay and playstyles made more successful.

With this, character can also attack with a greatsword and greenflame blade which is really interesting synergy with the CHR bonus to fire damage. If we take say elemental adept at 8th level, it is even more competitive. (I look for creative ways to NOT use EB, personally). This would also mean ranged attacks which are decent if you take fire bolt. That won't compete with EB per se but is not terrible. At 11th level it is doing 22 average damage with elemental adept while 3 hits of EB with 18 CHR would do 6.5 more.

Thus, I am constructing fire using witch hunter warlock. A little gandalf, a little folk hero, a little vampire slayer maybe...for devils, even elemental adept won't cut it so it will be booming blade and sacred flame. Hopefully won't have to fight too many of them!

Curious to hear about any other themed or packaged warlock creations the latest book has made possible for you.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I absolutely love the new invocations for Eldritch Blast that allows forced movement. Once you get more than one blast, you can split the enemy formation by blasting back and reducing the speed of the tank while dragging the back-line in front of its defensive line. The Patron doesnt really maters, but I love the idea of a GOO ''Mind General''.

With the addition of Cloak of Flies and Tomb of Levistus, I think a Fiend bladelock could make a good ''retaliation build'' with Armor of Aghatys and, if Tiefling, Flame of Flegetos. Add Infernal Constitution to gain resistance to 2 other damage type over you Fire + 1 other resistance from Fiend patron and you could even tank if light armor.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I absolutely love the new invocations for Eldritch Blast that allows forced movement. Once you get more than one blast, you can split the enemy formation by blasting back and reducing the speed of the tank while dragging the back-line in front of its defensive line. The Patron doesnt really maters, but I love the idea of a GOO ''Mind General''.

With the addition of Cloak of Flies and Tomb of Levistus, I think a Fiend bladelock could make a good ''retaliation build'' with Armor of Aghatys and, if Tiefling, Flame of Flegetos. Add Infernal Constitution to gain resistance to 2 other damage type over you Fire + 1 other resistance from Fiend patron and you could even tank if light armor.

that is so fun. just prior to thinking about the witch hunter, I was indeed toying with tiefling with either celestial or fiend patron and the racial feats.

I too thought about the wide array of resistances you can cobble together with race (tiefling) racial feat and possibly the fiendish resistance (slashing, bludgeoning whatever--force?) as well. You could take some punishment! Add in tomb of levistus and yeah, you could take a lot. your "defense" of armor of agathys could be a nice offense too...

another great combo...

Keith Lamond

Villager
The Hexblade Patron really enhances any melee based Warlock with the medium armor and shield proficiency, plus having your hit and damage based on Charisma so you only have to focus on one main stat makes it a lot easier to enhance your character with feats. The Hexblade really allows the classic Elric character who is physically weak but is devastating in combat due to his soul drinking blade.

I'm currently playing multi-class Rogue / Hexblade who uses booming blade to enhance his attacks along with Mask of Many faces to con his way into places he isn't allowed. The Misty Visions invocation lets him setup a convenient wall/boulder or object to hide behind.

Al2O3

Explorer
Is tomelock with feat for weapons really better for what you want to accomplish than bladelock with magic initiate?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
The Hexblade Patron really enhances any melee based Warlock with the medium armor and shield proficiency, plus having your hit and damage based on Charisma so you only have to focus on one main stat makes it a lot easier to enhance your character with feats. The Hexblade really allows the classic Elric character who is physically weak but is devastating in combat due to his soul drinking blade.

I'm currently playing multi-class Rogue / Hexblade who uses booming blade to enhance his attacks along with Mask of Many faces to con his way into places he isn't allowed. The Misty Visions invocation lets him setup a convenient wall/boulder or object to hide behind.

QFT! I have a 3rd level hexblade now. Agree totally with elric vibe. I too use misty visions to shield the party for escape or ambush!

I am thinking about taking one level of wizard only for a Raven familiar. Later I might go with polarm master and a glaive with the spike on the opposite side of the blade (historically to grab armor). In my case it will make the perfect perch for the Raven while I brood on my throne! Muhahaha

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Is tomelock with feat for weapons really better for what you want to accomplish than bladelock with magic initiate?

Gave this very question hard thought this AM. I have a weird mix of wants for this character. They include Thaumaturgy, fire bolt and the rituals that allow for a lot of utility.

So in fact you are correct, damage wise and saving a feat wise, blade pact is better. However, I want the extras for fun and will need to be less than efficient to get them. If I skip Thaumaturgy and take one level of sorcerer I would be most of the way there. But I am thinking I could make this odd package work.

All of my other warlocks (3 of them) have been blade pact. I have an affinity for them no doubt. But it is like a Rubik's cube...there is the opportunity cost for invocations, weapons and pact boons. Without multiclassing, I cannot have all I want exactly. If I go single class, some things will be better and some not...

and after all that naysaying, I need to consider the "build" again. I know what character I want to play...just a bit debate about how to best express it. I will give it some more thought.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
One underappreciated thing about Xanathar's is that it really gave the warlock some nice new spell options. Shadow blade, enemies abound, thunderous step, shadow of moil, and synaptic static are all great spells for their level.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Another build I like with the Warlock, without going in min-maxing as I know you prefer concept over build, is the idea of a warlock without charisma. GOO and Undying can work quite well for this. Take Self-buffing spells and invocations.

Variant Human for Moderately Armored, GOO blade-lock, stats in Str/Dex/Con can make you a good 4e Battlemind.

If not, 4e invoker can be replicated with with a Cha/Wis build, Moderately Armored + Magic Initiate: Thaumaturgy, Guidance, Bless with a spell emphasis on curse and radiant attack.

neogod22

Explorer
I have a lvl 7 tiefling celestial warlocks pact of the time. He uses firebolt and flaming sphere mostly in combat. Secondary would be EB and Hex with Maddening Hex if fighting fire resistant or immune creatures, (or underwater) I gave him the invocation to breathe underwater and plan on giving him the racial feat to give him poison and cold resistance at lol 8.

Remove ads