• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlords at D&D XP?

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Derro said:
Maybe this is illustrative of why there is no bard for core 4e.

When he arrives I believe he will be core, as all of the PHBs, MMs, and DMGs will.

I've heard the bard will have his powers granted from an otherworldly source.

I would like to see them go back to their druidc tutelage roots.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Steely Dan said:
When he arrives I believe he will be core, as all of the PHBs, MMs, and DMGs will.

I've heard the bard will have his powers granted from an otherworldly source.

I would like to see them go back to their druidc tutelage roots.

Wizards can keep saying that PHB II and III and even PHB XXIV will all be core, but the defacto core books will always be just the first ones, because those are the ones everyone will have.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Khementari said:
I think the warlord IS the bard. +/-

Well, they said the bard was finished for the next book, so by that do you mean that maybe the bard killed the warlord and took his stuff? Not a horrible theory considering the lack of warlord info. I would have thought WotC would be eager to show off the new class at D&D XP.

Edit: Although I now notice that the tiefling entry in the PHB exerpts from another thread ( http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220587 ) refer to a tiefling warlord, so warlords are probably still in. Perhaps they are just being tweaked at the last minute.

Last edited:

Ulthwithian

First Post
Well, I know that my group is simply champing at the bit to get the info on the Warlord. We want to feather a lot of oafs. Or Eldritch Blast them. Or something.

lasergreger

First Post
Wizards can keep saying that PHB II and III and even PHB XXIV will all be core, but the defacto core books will always be just the first ones, because those are the ones everyone will have.

So a Core book is whatever book all people buy? Nah, I would say that core books are whatever wizards say are core books, after all, it was they who dubbed the PHB, MM and DMG "Core".

/L

Gargoyle

Adventurer
lasergreger said:
So a Core book is whatever book all people buy? Nah, I would say that core books are whatever wizards say are core books, after all, it was they who dubbed the PHB, MM and DMG "Core".

/L

"Core" is just a word. But to put it another way, I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of groups will have access to the PHB, DMG, and MM, but will not buy every single "core" book.

Calling something core makes it core? Ok, fine. But IMO "core" means you have to have it to play the game, not "we really want you to buy all these books".

lvl20dm

Explorer
I think the reason they have expanded the definition of "core" goes beyond what is needed to play or even what they want people to purchase. They are making it so that anything, in any of these books, can be used by 3rd parties through the GSL.

I hate to crush any hopefuls here, but the Bard is just not going to be in the PHB. They have confirmed 8 classes, and screenshots of the of DDI show 8 classes and the Bard isn't one of them (Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, Cleric, Warlord, Wizard). However, it does sound like the Bard is complete, so we will probably see it online a month or two after the release of the PHB (and then probably published later in an Arcane themed book). I'll be interested to see the Bard, but something tells me it won't be the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" that it was in previous editions. Of course, that dubious honor did make the Bard an underpowered class, so I can't say that I'll miss it. He'll probably still have a good, eclectic skill selection.

Remove ads