Votes: 54 38.8%
  • 4th level module

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • should not be solo-dm'd in a module

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Poll closed .

Romnipotent

First Post
2nd level would be a cake walk for the right character and 3rd even! I've done and seen done some very mean things with gestalt... voted 3rd... 4th can be risky

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I'd say 2nd.

3rd is possible as well but a single failed save can mean a TPK if the "party" consists of only one character, so erring on the side of caution is advisable.

Algolei

Explorer
I don't know what a gestalt character is, so I just assumed you were an 8th-level character, and then voted 3rd.

I figure a 4-member party of 4th-level adventurers is Encounter Level 8, same as one 8th-level character, so you could do a 4th-level adventure. But then again, being solo and all, I'd drop it back to a 3rd-level adventure just to be safer--because having back-up is an important aspect of an adventuring party (too many battles see at least one PC knocked unconscious or put to sleep).

But then, the PCs in my campaigns keep dying when they hit 3rd level for some reason. (Pretty much any CR 3 critter seems able to kill our 3rd-level parties.)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Algolei said:
I don't know what a gestalt character is
A character who, at every level, gets the best (e.g., BAB, HD, class abilities) of two classes. E.g., Fighter and Rogue for a Fighter/Rogue Gestalt.

It's an UA option for a higher-powered campaign.

Steverooo

First Post
ASSUMING you did the Gestalting correctly (better of skill points/level, but not both, etc), then a Gestalted fourth-level PC should be CR 6 (4, +2 for Gestalt), divided by two, TWICE, since the normal party is four, equals 1.5... So I voted level 2 dungeon. You had the potions, and the shield, so round up. If the shield was a major asset (and it sounds like it was), you probably should have been run through a level three-plus, but I'd prefer to err on the side of kindness, since (s)he was solo... (Hopefully, I calculated those CRs correctly... I don't have my books handy!)

Gez

First Post
It was fair. A 3rd-level module would have been fair, too, IMHO.

I voted 3rd-level reading only the poll -- a gestalt 4/4 could do a 3rd-level module.

But in your particular case, I think 2nd was fair, because your gestalt was heavily specialized despite the gestalt (a sort of arcane tank+arcane artillery, no sneak, no medic, no divine spells, and not that tankish anyway).

Had your character been something like a monk/warmage or cleric/warmage instead, or hexblade/rogue, etc., it would have been better suited for solo-ing. (Monk/cleric with maybe just one level of, say, rogue/sorcerer, and you have the ultimate solo character. Great survivor, with access to lots of utility spells, and able to offset every single traps and use every nearly single magical items you can find.)

Thanee

First Post
Going by ECL, a Gestalt character is probably LA +2 compared to a normal 4th level character.

So your character has an ECL of 6th.

Now since a party normally consists of 4 people, we'll have to subtract 4 (-2 for each "halving" of the group size), so we end up at 2nd level.

Bye
Thanee

Rystil Arden

First Post
Thanee said:
Going by ECL, a Gestalt character is probably LA +2 compared to a normal 4th level character.

So your character has an ECL of 6th.

Now since a party normally consists of 4 people, we'll have to subtract 4 (-2 for each "halving" of the group size), so we end up at 2nd level.

Bye
Thanee
Formulaically, that's exactly how I came to the same conclusion.

shilsen

Adventurer
Gez said:
It was fair. A 3rd-level module would have been fair, too, IMHO.

I voted 3rd-level reading only the poll -- a gestalt 4/4 could do a 3rd-level module.

But in your particular case, I think 2nd was fair, because your gestalt was heavily specialized despite the gestalt (a sort of arcane tank+arcane artillery, no sneak, no medic, no divine spells, and not that tankish anyway).

Had your character been something like a monk/warmage or cleric/warmage instead, or hexblade/rogue, etc., it would have been better suited for solo-ing. (Monk/cleric with maybe just one level of, say, rogue/sorcerer, and you have the ultimate solo character. Great survivor, with access to lots of utility spells, and able to offset every single traps and use every nearly single magical items you can find.)
That's pretty much my take on it. All gestalt combinations aren't as effective as each other, and especially not when one considers a solo game, which has a completely different playing field.

Remove ads