• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Watchmen Inspired Campaign -- needs your help for setting and rules ideas!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Depending on your take with Cybernetics, it doesn't even have to be a Device container. If the cybernetics are simply implants that can't be removed or stolen, it's just "augmented human" stuff... use Super Strength or Speed or whatever, and give it a Cybernetics descriptor (maybe it's affected by EM blasts and such).
Good point. Especially if you're including 'bioware' (e.g., implants and such) - which I wasn't, but still. Yep, Powers alone can cover. . . let's just say, a good many things. :)

Cyronax said:
That sounds like a pretty cool system ... and I can assume that since its roughly d20 inspired that I could pull in some of the equipment and vehicles rules from the d20 Modern SRD? As an M&M fan, have you seen any fan-brewed settings that have something similar (which might save me some work)?
You could convert stuff like that from d20 Modern, sure. Not sure I'd want to, but it is a pretty adaptable system, so why not, really.

Re: similar settings - I haven't stumbled upon anything specifically like that, no. But I did just look up some actual Watchmen builds, and found these, which might help to get an idea of how the system works, and most of all what statblocks might be like:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=14764&highlight=Watchmen (the 'Watchmen' heading is in white) - there are also a number of others, it seems, but yeah, I've seen some of that guy's builds before, and so picked that lot. Incidentally, that forum is a goldmine for builds (and other stuff) - do a search for a character out of a comic, movie, tv show, or the like, and it will probably net you a few writeups. :cool:

Last edited:

roguerouge

First Post
Well, if you truly want to simulate the graphic novel, you should make sure to devote an entire session to one player's origin story. Then you should have a smidgeon of plot. Then you should repeat this cycle four more times. Somewhere in there, you should have the party disband, then partially reform. Two players should start with characters that are vastly overpowered that symbolically emasculate at least two other players. Two players should start with evil characters, a third should turn evil and a fourth should go cosmic disinterested Neutral. There should be two utterly kick ass fight scenes (no more, no less) but one should involve a grudge match with a villain the rest of the party has never met.

The campaign should end in bitterness, recrimination, tears and player v. player combat. And even THAT should all be for naught.

Watchmen: great comic novel. Perhaps not a good idea for a campaign. Still, best of luck, but consider my words for what to avoid.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Nice setting you've got there, Cryonax. Sounds like it will give the players plenty of hooks.

I'd recommend either HERO or GURPS for the system. They give the most freedom for design purposes. Of course more design freedom means more complexity. HERO is my preferred system but GURPS does low-powered supers well.

TheWyrd

First Post
I am a HUGE fan of Mutants and Masterminds. That said, I'm not really 100% sure that it would be best for Watchmen. Assuming that Dr. Manhattan is an NPC, the PCs aren't exactly brimming with super powers. I think I might try to run it with White Wolf's new world of Darkness core book and a few of the mortal supplements for special abilities and the Armory book.

If I was going to run it with M&M, a PL6 game would probably work out just fine. The main thing you're going to want to do to get that gritty feel is significantly reduce the number of Hero points that you give out. The core M&M combat system is pretty gritty if you make damage default to lethal damage and keep players from re-rolling toughness saves with their hero points.

JohnBiles

First Post
Keep in mind the Constitution has to be amended for Schwarzenegger to become president. (I've assumed that Nixon either got rid of the 2 term amendment or else it was never passed in the Watchmenverse.)

I would suggest that Laurie and Dan have a son who wants to go down Dad's superhero road who he is holding back. Ahh, rebellious youth.

You KNOW the government undoubtably killed a BUNCH of people trying to duplicate what happened with Dr. Manhattan. Good springboard for having one of them finally show up (I'd suggest that where Manhattan approached his powers through being a physicist, such a person have a biology orientation, and thus manipulates life easily but not inorganics so well...) Or having to stop some villain from duplicating it.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
There is a system out there from Mayfaire Games that was designed for DC Universe, and had several adventures and even an inclusion within the main rules boxed set for Watchmen.

Cyronax

Explorer
Oh yes. I figured that if Nixon could get 5 terms, then Arnold could get himself elected at least once.

A conceit that I really want to play up on is the somewhat internationally agreed upon authoritarian limitations placed on the Internet, while on the flip side TV and celebrities become even more important. (Skill at hacking information networks becomes that much more important to player heroes).

One of the closing panels in the Watchmen graphic novel mentioned Robert Redford running for president in 1988 (obviously a play on Ronald Reagan's similar initials I imagine).

So with Arnold and a telegenic VP like Huckabee ... it'd make for an interesting game.

I also plan to make Arnold a possible NPC for player heroes who make a name for themselves (and a good reputation in the eyes of the govt.). GW Bush was a character in the Ultimate Marvel universe in the early years and I envision something like that happening if this campaign (and ruleset) get off the ground.

Cyronax

Explorer
Well, if you truly want to simulate the graphic novel, you should make sure to devote an entire session to one player's origin story. Then you should have a smidgeon of plot. Then you should repeat this cycle four more times. Somewhere in there, you should have the party disband, then partially reform. Two players should start with characters that are vastly overpowered that symbolically emasculate at least two other players. Two players should start with evil characters, a third should turn evil and a fourth should go cosmic disinterested Neutral. There should be two utterly kick ass fight scenes (no more, no less) but one should involve a grudge match with a villain the rest of the party has never met.

The campaign should end in bitterness, recrimination, tears and player v. player combat. And even THAT should all be for naught.

Watchmen: great comic novel. Perhaps not a good idea for a campaign. Still, best of luck, but consider my words for what to avoid.

Dr. Manhattan would definetely be an NPC. Player hero powers would be balanced in relation to one another ... at least similar to the way the Star Wars SAGA rules balance Jedi powers against non-Force users.

Anyway, I don't intend to be faithful to the Watchmen story, just its expanded setting. Using Doomsday 1985 and a set of NPCs (along with a redone Tony Stark and a Hulk-like character) are common and accessible elements that my players can enjoy without having to worry about a HUGE backstory like I would if I used an established comic universe like Marvel or DC.

Remove ads