D&D 5E Waterskins (apparently every adventuring party in history died of thirst)

jasper

Rotten DM
It does depend on the group. What I do unless the adventure calls for. (deep in ravenloft etc), is just every other time they in town they deduct the price of ammo/rations. A little gold here and there adds up.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Nothing.

Anyway, that is incredibly short a time. People have survived for weeks during hunger strikes, some for as long as 70 days. In D&D, with 20 con, your max is 14 days.

From the Hardy Boys Survival Guide many decades ago, you can go 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, and 3 minutes without air.

On the other hand, I heard that during the Age of Sail, crew on ships would eat around 8000 calories a day because of the sustained physical effort. Don't know if that's true.

schnee

First Post
My players have a Ranger with a high survival skill... So, I get to hand-wave this until an extreme scenario arises.

This how I do it, mostly.

I'd say a desert campaign or trek, or being in a place with literally no water will require Clerics to cast spells, etc. so that will be considered the drain on their resources and is worth bringing to the fore.

In my AD&D days, we'd track days, and mark off against rations and food stores, but we were pretty grognardy. We also had retainers and hirelings and all the other trappings of those days, so... (stares off into the distance) it was a different time.

Remove ads