Ways to gain extra movement speed?

Oryan77

Adventurer
I'm going to be making a 1st level Barbarian Gladiator for a Darksun game. I don't have a lot of experience with 4e. Is there a feat or some alternative option that would grant my PC any extra squares of movement?

I'm interested in a permanent bonus to the speed. Half-Giants are speed 6 I think. I'm not really interested in something that only gives me a better speed if I perform a specific action (like charging). I'm looking for a way to raise that speed 6 to a 7 or higher.

Does gaining size raise speed any? Speaking of which, is the only thing that gaining a larger size affect in 4e is reach & weapon size?

Aulirophile

First Post
Actually size doesn't inherently increase reach. Many large creatures still have a melee touch range of 1. You do get an upgraded damage die though.

Items:

Boots of Striding +1 Item Bonus when wearing light or no armor.
Boots of Striding and Springing +1 Item bonus when wearing light or no armor, +2 to jumps.

Feat:

Fleet Footed at Paragon. +1 Feat Bonus.

Most of the rest are epic options or would involve a different class/race or a multiclass and dedicating your PP/ED to it.

Azlith

First Post
Thri-Kreen and Elves are speed 7. Elves can also shift in difficult terrain. There's a dwarven feat to give them speed 6. And magic boots at level 9? that give +1 in heavy armor.

domino

First Post
There's Aspect of the Peregrine Falcon if you're a hunter from Essentials that gives +2 speed. But that's only when you have it "on."

Dice4Hire

First Post
What book do I find that info in? I've had the hardest time finding anything out about the differences between medium and large size. The only thing I saw was a brief mention about Reach in the monster manual.

It is really obscure as they decided not to allow large sized PCs. How they work is mostly guesswork as the designers saw no reason to do rules

Aulirophile

First Post
What book do I find that info in? I've had the hardest time finding anything out about the differences between medium and large size. The only thing I saw was a brief mention about Reach in the monster manual.
PHB equipment section. It is a "Large" weapon for a "Large" creature. The mechanical effect of which is that the die increases by one size.

Close Bursts get bigger since you have a larger origin.

Your vertical reach increases since technically you are a 2x2x2 cube.

There are no inherent increases besides the damage die, really, just ones that follow mechanically from you being a larger cube.

webrunner

First Post
There was a build somewhere on the charop forum which had a burst movement of something like 40 squares, but I can't find it at the moment. I assume literally any speed increase possible would be in that build.

Remove ads