D&D 5E We have a Legends and Lore this week

Maybe this would work better in a different thread - but how about we figure out a list of the problems with the fuzzy HP issue - like the "did he hit with the poisoned dagger or not" issue - and then try to fix those, instead of trying to change HP from the oldest intent?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
But, HP are far too abstract to get that detailed. Undead, particularly incorporeal undead, have no physiology as we would understand it. So, how can their HP be the same as the HP for a human?

Or take various fantastical creatures that simply cannot work, but, we accept them in the name of genre. Any flying monster that's human sized or larger doesn't work. It cannot work. Not without a complete revision of the physics of the game. And that's the point. HP are not part of the "physics engine" of D&D.

Can you do it? Sure. There are a number of games out there that do what you are proposing - typically pretty sim heavy games where the goal of the rules is to produce an accurate simulation of the world. But, again, D&D has almost always sacrificed simulation for speed of play. HP are popular because they work. They're quick and dirty, but, they work.

Sure, when you scratch below the surface, they make about as much sence as a cardboard hammer. We all know that. The trick is, don't scratch. Once you go down the road of trying to make D&D into a simulation game, it changes virtually every aspect of the game. D&D has always been an, to borrow a Forgism, incoherent game. It uses whatever works at the table to judge mechanics. Trying to redefine HP at this point would effectively invalidate every playstyle that doesn't follow your playstyle.

I'd much prefer to leave HP very fuzzy and then let individual DM's futz about hammering it into whatever shape they like.
I don't think you have a firm grasp about what D&D or role playing games are. I'll leave it at that.

Hussar

Legend
I don't think you have a firm grasp about what D&D or role playing games are. I'll leave it at that.

Hrm? Considering your history of trying to claim that RPG's are a very specific game which no one else actually agrees with, I'm not sure that I'm the one without a firm grasp on what D&D or role playing games are.

But, hey, it's far easier just to make ad hominem attacks rather than try to actually make a point isn't it?

VinylTap

First Post
Well, there's my good chuckle for the day.

At the end of the day I think HP should stay pretty abstract. The problem is finding a counter-weight to the cost to healing, you shouldn't get something for nothing, or its worth exactly that. WOTC is trying to enable players with options, its doesn't take anything away from the way you play, if other options are there. But i really do think it should be firmly placed in mechanics, and applying "abstract levels of verisimilitude" doesn't get the game any more playable at the end of the day. People just need to be confident in the way they see the game played and go with it.

Last edited:

Maybe this would work better in a different thread - but how about we figure out a list of the problems with the fuzzy HP issue - like the "did he hit with the poisoned dagger or not" issue - and then try to fix those, instead of trying to change HP from the oldest intent?

Funny, I thought HP simply was a gamist construct picked because it was easy to keep track off and never treated HP solely as meat. At least I get that impression whenever anyone quotes the AD&D books about HP...

Remove ads