Weather Generator?

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a generator?

Recently, I've been trying to make weather a more significant factor in my campaign, in part to add a sense of veracity and in part to provide another potential tactical factor to my encounters (at least, the outdoor ones) and the heroes' plans.

I thought about some sort of system to generate the weather, but ultimately decided that I didn't need it. I don't use a random generator to come up with my maps; why should I do it for the weather.

I choose the weather (within reasonable expectations) that fits the challenges or atmosphere I want for my story. In the same way that I design a map, pick out opponents, or otherwise set up elements for an encounter or segment of a story.

I recommend that route!

Kamaloo

Explorer
CharlesRyan: I'd like a generator because I have no real feel for believable weather patterns and because I'm lazy and don't want to have to keep track of it beyond checking a list in case the matter comes up in the game. If it were left up to me the weather would probably always be dry and sunny with no wind, LOL! I like the idea of random weather patterns being a factor to deal with, I just don't want to have to do the work myself.

The D&D 1e Wilderness Survival Guide seems to have the sort of thing I'd imagined, but it'd take forever to sit and determine the changes day by day, which is why a generator to do the grunt work would be welcome.

Arnwyn

First Post
The 1e Wilderness Survival Guide. Bar-none.

I still use it to this very day. There was a generator online that actually generated the weather from the WSG for you... I don't know if it's still out there, but Google is your friend. I printed off a year for each terrain in each climate type, and I'm ready to go for life.

And I agree - "making it up" is hugely unsatisfying (both for me and my players).

Scribble

First Post
Roll a d6:

1. Choose whatever weather will annoy your PCs the most.
2. Choose whatever weather will annoy your PCs the most.
3. Choose whatever weather will annoy your PCs the most.
4. Choose whatever weather will annoy your PCs the most.
5. Choose whatever weather will annoy your PCs the most.
6. Re-roll

:p

Vorput

First Post
Edena_of_Neith that was a great fun little post. I'd give you xp, but I've allotted my giving for this 24 hours.

Remove ads