D&D 4E Weekly Wrecana: Improving Rituals

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, you could break the link by just making residuum cost 2 or 4 or 10x more than its nominal GP value equivalent, and then giving away some in treasures. You could probably also increase the yield from the Disenchant Item ritual somewhat at that point. I'd also rule that residuum doesn't work as a universal ingredient for all rituals, leave it as purely a substance used/required for items. You can basically have a 'law of conservation of residuum', the stuff simply cannot be created, though perhaps it can be destroyed... Mostly it gets lost! There could be processes for collecting environmentally dispersed residuum though, perhaps this is what dwarves do, mine it from deep underground in minute quantities.

Sounds very similar to some of the things I did without thinking too much about it... like giving away specific ingredients and residuum not working universally.. and situationally allowing gathering of ritual materia via skill challenges even. (another way to make rituals NOT be insta fixes).

Sounds very similar to some of the things I did without thinking too much about it... like giving away specific ingredients and residuum not working universally.. and situationally allowing gathering of ritual materia via skill challenges even. (another way to make rituals NOT be insta fixes).

Yup, my basic theory was if a ritual was really NEEDED to progress, like you just weren't going to get past point X without it, then I would supply the required components without cost. Heck, if you're cunning enough to figure out a way to avoid casting the thing, then good for you, you just got some extra treasure! Of course, TBH, if a ritual is required, then its just color, so its even a question of whether or not you should actually roll any dice for it at all. The more I GM the less I rely on dice. I really am not sure ANY ritual should require checks at all.

Remove ads