Welcome to ENWorld DC Area Gameday II -- Saturday, March 15 2008

Welcome old friends and newcomers!

The second* ENWorld DC Area gameday is set for Saturday, March 15th. Same location as before. For those that attended the previous iteration, we're open to suggestions on how to make this one even better.

More info to follow as we get things organized. For those wishing to run games, please hold off posting them until we come up with some guidelines and procedures. Given the limited space, I want to make sure things run a little more smoothly this time.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Did we start games at 9am (can't remember if that was this gameday)? That was a bit early for us to travel into DC if I remember correctly and made for a really long day.

Otherwise I think it was fabulous and we'll try to make it again. :)

We started at 9:30 last time. It was a little early for me, too, since I can't get the keys to open the door until 9, and people were already queueing up, which made it hard to do set-up and such. I'd prefer a slightly later start, myself.

Xer0

First Post
Can we do a 10am start then? Did we have a upper time limit, such as midnight or something? I can't remember....

The hard limit is 1am; I'd put an effective cap at midnight so there is time to quickly wrap up games that were running long, do clean-up, etc.

Last time, we wanted to do the group dinner, which means stopping around 8pm. Even then, we didn't get out of the restaurant until midnight (granted, 30 minutes of that was the restaurant screwing up the bill).

There was also some talk about making the lunch break longer, so that people in morning games that ran long could still run out and grab something, or so that people that wanted to eat at a 'real' restaurant weren't rushed to get back.

The_Universe

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
The hard limit is 1am; I'd put an effective cap at midnight so there is time to quickly wrap up games that were running long, do clean-up, etc.

Last time, we wanted to do the group dinner, which means stopping around 8pm. Even then, we didn't get out of the restaurant until midnight (granted, 30 minutes of that was the restaurant screwing up the bill).

There was also some talk about making the lunch break longer, so that people in morning games that ran long could still run out and grab something, or so that people that wanted to eat at a 'real' restaurant weren't rushed to get back.
Well, if we leave sessions at 4.5 hours, a 10am start puts the lunchbreak at 2:30. If you break for lunch for 1 hour, the second session starts at 3:30 and goes until 8. Any longer/later than that, and you're not really breaking for "lunch" anyway...it's an early supper, and likely to leech away people from any possible group dinner.

My suggested solution for the somewhat short lunch is to collectively order pizza in for whoever wants some. That's what they do at the NC Gameday (generally), and it works well for those pressed for time. I'd be willing to organize that if it meant we could leave the lunch break at something less than 1.5 hours.

In any case, my impression was not that the lunch break was all that short, anyway. It just seemed that way because at least one of the games (the awesome Deadlands game, for example) didn't get started until almost 11am...

Last edited:

madwabbit

First Post
The_Universe said:
My suggested solution for the somewhat short lunch is to collectively order pizza in for whoever wants some. That's what they do at the NC Gameday (generally), and it works well for those pressed for time. I'd be willing to organize that if it meant we could leave the lunch break at something less than 1.5 hours.
I second the "have food delivered" idea. Also, are we planning about a third session in the evening then?

The_Universe

First Post
madwabbit said:
I second the "have food delivered" idea. Also, are we planning about a third session in the evening then?
I'm more than happy to arrange so that it's at least an option.

Do we prefer a third session to a group outing? I tend to find the two sessions pretty exhausting, but there's no reason to deny people with more endurance than I an opportunity to keep playing. ;)

Remove ads