Weres: are there clear rules for PCs?

tetsujin28

First Post
Since we know that CR and character level don't really mix well, are there rules published by WotC (only) for creating characters who are werecreatures? The werebear is the type under question, but if there's clear rules for others, that'd be great, too.

shilsen

Adventurer
tetsujin28 said:
Since we know that CR and character level don't really mix well, are there rules published by WotC (only) for creating characters who are werecreatures? The werebear is the type under question, but if there's clear rules for others, that'd be great, too.
The MM has the info on lycanthropes as characters (pg.178-179). A werebear would have 6 racial hit dice and an LA of +3, so a werebear with one class level would be a 10th lvl PC.

Pinotage

Explorer
I realise you said WotC only, but IMO, some good rules are contained in Curse of the Moon by Sean K Reynolds Games and Slaves of the Moon from Paradigm Concepts. These allow you to run either were-creatures from 1st level, or allow you to progress into a were-creature if you're affliced with lycanthropy. WotC books don't really cover these scenarios using ECL.

Pinotage

I strongly recommend using additional rules (I like Ravenloft, but that's me). If you want the real role-playing flavor of being a were-creature, you should have rules about things like nutritional needs.

I also recommend avoiding the high-HD weres; I'm not sure they're worth it. My PC werewolf was AWESOME when his DR 10/silver was in play, and not too shabby outside of it. Higher HD animals might weaken that.

Also, look at the Warshaper PrC from Complete Warrior. Make sure your DM gives you permission to play it before he reads it, though. :)

Zzyzx

First Post
The Wizards of the Coast D&D website had a series of articles written by Sean K Reynolds a while back where he showed how to break the were-templates down into "levels" that can be taken over time (also explained in "Savage Species").

If you are looking for a WoTC source besides the Monster Manual, I think that this is it:

Savage Progressions Archive
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp

Remove ads