Western NC - Underwater!

cybertalus

First Post
The remnants of Hurricane Frances hit Western North Carolina with a vengeance last night. According to news reports Biltmore Village (near the world famous Biltmore Estate) was under 7 feet of water earlier today. The main water treatment plant is offline, the governor's declared a state of emergency, and lots of people have suffered major damage to their homes and businesses.

I lucked out. Where I live and where I work are in the areas least affected, so I personally have had it no worse off than if it had rained for a couple of days. All of my family are okay, and I'm in the process of checking with my friends.

I don't know how many other EN Worlders are from WNC. I do recall seeing at least one poster from Swannanoa, which is one of the worst hit areas. In any case, I hope everyone and all of their loved ones are okay.

wizardneedsfood

First Post
I'm from Hendersonville, but I'm actually in Greenville, SC right now so we missed the worst of it down here. I know some friends back in Hendo that were actually evacuated but out where my family lives was okay. It's crazy that the mountains got that much rain from this beast.

cybertalus

First Post
Glad to hear your family and home are okay.

And yeah, "mountains" and "flooding" aren't two things people usually associate with each other. Which makes it that much worse because it seems next to no one around here has flood insurance.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
wizardneedsfood said:
I'm from Hendersonville, but I'm actually in Greenville, SC right now so we missed the worst of it down here. I know some friends back in Hendo that were actually evacuated but out where my family lives was okay. It's crazy that the mountains got that much rain from this beast.

I've got a friend who lives in Hendersonville and he got through it just fine. Although the animal shelter he used to work at got flooded.

I'm further east and got alot of rain. Had to deal with all that rain the day before when me and another friend were driving back from Atlanta. That was messy. And dangerous as well.

Hopefully Ivan will go bug somewhere else for a change.

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
I'm the guy from Swannanoa :D And I know Pielorinho (Daniel) lives in Asheville, too, but I don't know how he fared.

When you live in the mountains, you don't expect to get flooding like this. My family lives on high ground luckily and we're doing okay, but the Swannanoa River threatened to wipe out our only exit the day before yesterday. Thankfully we still have power (but no water :( ). I went out yesterday and everything seems to have receded pretty well. What a crazy time.

Here are some links from the local papers to give other ENWorlders some perspective:

http://www.blackmountainnews.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=1827&format=html

http://www.citizen-times.com/cache/article/news/61057.shtml

Last edited:

cybertalus

First Post
Glad to hear you're safe and dry. Don't have a link, but I was thankful and amazed to hear on the news last night that there have been no reported deaths resulting from the flood.

I really hope they manage to get the water repaired before Hurricane Ivan comes along and knocks it back out again.

XanthorDrathos

First Post
Morganton, NC here is better off than Asheville, NC. The main interstate, I40, is open and clean up resumes. We got about 10" rain here, locally up to 17" in and around Black Mountain area. Most of the rivers/creeks have crested and schools have resumed today although not all roads are open.

Lots of water, mud and muck all about. Luckily uneffected personally, but know many that have been impacted.

Remove ads