WFRP3 'suddenly' announced dead after 2 years of no production

Celebrim

Legend
Can FFG even do that, given that 2nd was produced by Green Ronin under license?

No, FFG can't; I'm presuming GW takes the license back and does what is best for the brand ignoring the legal complexities of all that.

But yes, FFG and I have had a very frustrating relationship so I fully sympathize with any fan of any product that feels shafted by FFG's practices.

delericho

Legend
I would recommend that FFG give up the license as soon as possible...

The problem being that that license is probably bound up with the WH40k license that they do want to support.

No, FFG can't; I'm presuming GW takes the license back and does what is best for the brand ignoring the legal complexities of all that.

Ah, fair enough. Though it's an interesting question as to who owns what in the license situation. Which, of course, would depend on the precise terms of the specific license.

innerdude

Legend

But yes, FFG and I have had a very frustrating relationship so I fully sympathize with any fan of any product that feels shafted by FFG's practices.

I too have a major love-hate relationship with Fantasy Flight.

Everything they do seems to indicate an attitude of, "We do what's best for our business, and you'll like it, because you want the stuff we produce, and thus want us to stay in business. No, we don't care if occasionally we come across as self-serving, or seem otherwise uninterested in your opinion, Mr. and Mrs. Consumer."

With Fantasy Flight you generally get what you pay for. But boy, do you pay. And then pay again. And again.

On a related note, as of two weeks ago our local Barnes and Noble still has in stock a copy of the WFRP 3rd Edition "Big Box Set." Every time I go there I think, "Huh, yup, it's still here. Five years later, and no one's so much as sniffed at it." Since, really, who wants to pay $100 for 1) an RPG that 2) sits in a very niche demographic that 3) based on all customer reviews bears no mechanical resemblance to other popular RPGs?

I keep thinking I should buy it, then eBay it for more than I paid for it, since I'm sure in 5-10 years somebody will be dying to find a copy. There's always a collector out there somewhere.

Last edited:

vegaserik01

First Post
On a related note, as of two weeks ago our local Barnes and Noble still has in stock a copy of the WFRP 3rd Edition "Big Box Set." Every time I go there I think, "Huh, yup, it's still here. Five years later, and no one's so much as sniffed at it." Since, really, who wants to pay $100 for 1) an RPG that 2) sits in a very niche demographic that 3) based on all customer reviews bears no mechanical resemblance to other popular RPGs?

Yeah it was $100 - but it was everything ... how much is the D&D core books going to cost by the time all three come out? And really why would they want to release a game that does resemble other rpg's ... just buy those other rpg's. The mechanics were great, and took very little getting used to. It wasn't going to appeal to a wide range of gamers, but way too many people bashed it without ever even trying it. Besides, most people got it for less then $100 - I believe Amazon had it as low as $67 which isn't a bad price considering it was a full system in the box playable for years with nothing more then the core if you wished.

"Huh, yup, it's still here. Five years later, and no one's so much as sniffed at it." Since, really, who wants to pay $100 for 1) an RPG that 2) sits in a very niche demographic that 3) based on all customer reviews bears no mechanical resemblance to other popular RPGs?

I keep thinking I should buy it, then eBay it for more than I paid for it, since I'm sure in 5-10 years somebody will be dying to find a copy. There's always a collector out there somewhere.

Whilst 1 is certainly true, 2 wasn't really something that was immediately clear, indeed, at the time WFRP3 came out, the "really complicated boardgame" market was absolutely blossoming, and a lot of the people buying in it were ex-RPGers, so I think there was an expectation (a frustrated one, in the end) that they would want to get in on it. 3 cuts both ways - if I want a game to be easily accepted by my main group, I certainly want something with accessible mechanics - one way for mechanics to be accessible is to be similar to mechanics they already know (the other main way is to have simple, easily-learned, sense-making mechanics) - but at the same time, I actually shy away from dropping large sums on RPGs which are basically "The same again!" mechanics-wise. YMMV of course on that.

So I'm just saying it's more "it seemed like a good idea a the time" than the "obviously dumb" idea some are trying to use hindsight to suggest it was.

I note, though, that despite being an RPGer and into complicated boardgames and knowing a lot of people who might have been interested, I didn't get WFRP3, because the whole deal with all the specialized dice and stuff seemed waaaay too like:

A) A naked cash-grab - I mean, there's new systems, then there's trying to force me to buy a new dice bucket, and I draw the line somewhere!

and

B) Likely to force me to haul lots of lose-able components around with me to play (ugh) - I don't mind hauling some stuff, but only if it's essentially easily replaced.

EDIT - Example of "shying away" - There's just no way I'd have bought a WFRP3 which was basically just a slightly mechanically refined and visually updated WFRP2, personally, because, well, I have WFRP2, so why would I need that? You'd need a significantly different and improved system for me to ever buy a WFRP again.

Last edited:

Remove ads