• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WH40K: Adventure Design Help

ghrezdd

First Post
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this. If not, Mods feel free to move it to the appropriate location.

Every year I do a horror themed one-shot (approximately 5-6 hours long) for Halloween. Cliched... I know - but it gives me a chance to introduce to my group games I would not normally get to play/GM.

So this year I was thinking of running WH40K. I own the main book, The Inquistor's Handbook and I just recently got Purge the Unclean.

I skimmed Purge the Unclean and found the adventure Twilight. That immediately got me to thinking about the movie Event Horizon and I decided that the senario would involve a derelict spacecraft hurtling towards a planet ala Twilight (for the sense of urgency) but make it haunted with Warp Zombies and Astral Spectres culminating with a bound demon.

I have never run or played WH40K before so I have a few questions and I hope you all can help.

My first question is what level should I make the pre-gen characters?

My second question is what classes, equipment or powers should I make available to the PCs (either at startup or discovered along the course of the Advenute)?

My third question is what sort of beasties should I use?

Also any ideas for encounters or advice on how to run the game would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

llamatron2000

First Post
Recommendations:

Generate 'em as you would a starting character, and give them a bit more money/gear. This gives both the flavor of the class, without overshadowing the advantages of any particular homeworld/origin.

Class/Origin recommendations:

Hive Guardsman: I find this is a -really- well rounded choice. Make them a marksman(let the assassin show off the specialized melee stuff)
Imperial Adept: classic adept archetype
Voidborn Psyker: Zap and burn things and be creepy and wierd.

Stuff like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads