• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What’s the most gruesome thing that can befall an adventurer?

Arilyn

Hero
Mummy rot always got to me. For gruesomeness that is mechanically supported, I would go there. In terms of what just really hurts the player, level drain. Not gruesome technically, though some forms could be, but that makes players cringe as if something gruesome had occurred more than any kind of maiming or dismemberment.
Definitely mummy rot for me too. This is the one that gives me the creeps, not just my character!

jgsugden

Legend
Focusing on gruesome as horrifying and not specifically on gore: The most horrific things I've seen have been for players that really get invested in the game making mistakes that end up killing (or worse) other PCs. The things that actually get people feeling sick to their stomach are the realizations that their actions ruined everything.

Mercurius

Legend
When I was a kid the thing that freaked me out the most was rot grub, all based on this picture:

1622235377457.png

Remove ads