What’s your favorite boxed set?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My favorite is Set 2: Expert Rules, the blue-box version. Not only was it a great rules expansion, it also came with one of the greatest adventure modules of all time (The Isle of Dread.)

I am going a little off the beaten track.

What was the coolest TSR-era boxed set, in my opinion?

Star Frontiers: Knight Hawks.

1*ArxsrhgVz57sVMSguyZaCw.jpeg

Sure, there were a lot of good, and even great D&D boxed sets. There were some amazing other TSR boxed sets (Gamma World, anyone?).

But this expansion to the original Alpha Dawn boxed set ... it took a good game and really kicked it up a notch. It had the rules for spaceship combat, and making space ships ... and a map and little counters to use.

It wasn't minis. It wasn't the realism of Traveler. But it was awesome. Pure unadultered joy.

I loved that one too. I spent hours designing my own ships.

The spaceship combat was actually pretty good too! It played fairly fast for a wargame and had some pretty cool tactical options despite not been super complicated (different weapons were good against certain defenses, you maintained speed every round unless you acc/decc, quite usable and fun damage chart where you could get your engine or manuver thrusters taken out, a fire started, etc.).

Fun times!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I have four.

Dark Sun. Original Campaign Setting box. My all-time favorite D&D setting. It was weird and wild and dangerous. Evocative of the science-fantasy stories I love. Psionics even for the plants and everything...everything is desperately trying to kill you. Also, the world is doomed. The bad guys won a few centuries ago. Good luck.

Spelljammer. Adventures in Space. D&D in space and the wild and crazy shenanigans of miniature giant space hamsters running in wheels to power spaceships. Crystal spheres and the phlogiston. All the wild planet and sphere generation tables. Again, mixing the science-fantasy elements into a single wonderful stew.

Al-Qadim. Land of Fate. Always loved the Arabian nights and the movies they spawned. Could not get enough of this setting. Loved so many of the extra elements of the setting. The adventures, the society of the Enlightened, the cosmopolitan nature of the cities where anyone was welcome. Great stuff.
Flip flop DS and AQ and we are the same, and for the same reasons.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Menzoberranzen. Had an epic campaign centered around this iconic City of the Drow. It was dark, and beautiful. The maps were just beyond awesome.

Al Qadim is a very, very close second.

Attachments

• 1650496500213.png
    1650496500213.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 1650496547190.png
    1650496547190.png
    3 MB · Views: 50

glass

(he, him)
Right now, I am thinking the Rod of Seven Parts deluxe adventure - I do not even play AD&D any more, and I still want to run it some day. But ask me tomorrow and I might have a different answer....

_
glass.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Forgotten Realms Grey Box set. It enabled me to finally make a working, consistent campaign.

I had tried to run in the World of Greyhawk but I didn't know enough to make my own cities. My homebrewed stuff had fallen apart. But the grey box and the Waterdeep City resource helped me make the world come to life.

Oh, and there was an article in Dragon about the "Environs of Waterdeep" that assisted me in bringing the surrounding area in to play, too.

Good times!

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
1.Dark Sun
2.Ravenloft Red Box revised edition
3.BECMI Companion Set Cyan Box
4.BECMI Basic Set Red Box
5.BECMI Expert Set Blue Box
6.Planescape
7.Forgotten Realms Gray Box
8.Spelljammer
9.Planescape Planes of Conflict
10.Planescape Planes of Law

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Right now, I am thinking the Rod of Seven Parts deluxe adventure - I do not even play AD&D any more, and I still want to run it some day. But ask me tomorrow and I might have a different answer....

_
glass.
Came here to post exactly this. I don't think it's anything close to as objectively good as anything else coming out around that time, but damn if it isn't just a perfect set up to let your imagination run wild with how to actually play it out

Remove ads