• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What about the magazines?

delericho

Legend
Indeed.

Except for two small details: we know they're currently on hiatus, which does imply an intention to bring them back at some time and in some form (though plans can change, of course); and I'm sure I remember Mearls mentioning that they were at least looking into the possibility of restoring them to print ("looking into..." obviously is not the same as "we promise to..." :) ).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Indeed.

Except for two small details: we know they're currently on hiatus, which does imply an intention to bring them back at some time and in some form (though plans can change, of course); and I'm sure I remember Mearls mentioning that they were at least looking into the possibility of restoring them to print ("looking into..." obviously is not the same as "we promise to..." :) ).

As a note, that was in reference to PoD, and was just a quick "good idea, we might look into that" aside to a suggestion on Twitter. I wouldn't hold your breath!

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Do we know anything about WOTC's plans for Dungeon and Dragon under 5E?

I'd love the magazines to come back but please not as a subscription based service like DDI. Why can't Wizards just compile a pdf version each month or even bi-monthly in one go and sell it online?

They can still offer a subscription, but purely for the magazines, or sell them individually then.

CSwizzy

First Post
I'd love the magazines to come back but please not as a subscription based service like DDI. Why can't Wizards just compile a pdf version each month or even bi-monthly in one go and sell it online?

They can still offer a subscription, but purely for the magazines, or sell them individually then.

THIS

I would totally subscribe to a magazine, but if they have DDI again I might have to really think hard about it.

Uller

Adventurer
THIS

I would totally subscribe to a magazine, but if they have DDI again I might have to really think hard about it.

I found the DDI subscription to be really useful. When I was running 4e games it was very convenient to not have to have my books at the table at all (in fact, I stopped buying books except ones that had story material I wanted). If I wanted a 4e adventure for 5th level characters and didn't have one made (or just needed an idea), I had every digital issue of Dungeon available.

I would totally consider a DDI subscription again...the only thing that might keep me from it is I am finding that 5e works better with no computers at the table than 4e did.

Given WotC has all of six people working on D&D The Game, they likely do not have the staff to aggressively write new rulebooks and manage the e-magazines.

Once the workload has died down, likely in September, they'll likely start the magazines up again.
They'll want people to have some content, so they'll likely wait for early August and the release of the PHB before they put out a call for pitches, knowing that they can respond in August/Sept and edit after, when the core books are at the printers.

Once the core books are out they can begin to rely more on freelancers again, freeing up a couple staff to work on the magazines.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads