D&D General What about the random DMG dungeon generator? I just used it

Alby87

Adventurer
Hi everyone!

After a while toying with the idea, I generated a random dungeon using the tables on the DMG. I know there are online generators with a lot of options... but just tried to do it old style, for once.

Map resulting was pretty nice, I have to admit! It's an old school one, and you can feel it.
The really odd thing is the number of corridors, 70% of the checks between corridors or rooms results in corridors, a lot of long corridors. This tells how much the game should depend of light and vision: modern dungeons tend to be with not so long corridors, but in a dungeon like this I can feel the need for light and different speeds (stealth, mapping, run). I personally think that there should be way to make tables were you can select the odds of corridords and chambers based on the style of dungeon you want to make.

Then I didn't go for the monster/trap/hazards, I've an idea of what the dungeon is (the party can start the dungeon in two ways: falling for a trap (starting north, fighting their way to the exit), or entering from the exit (south) to catch the BBEG). But still, using the "deathtrap" template, I had much unluck, the chambers weren't compatible with the map: from the look of other table, they seems a lot more plausible. Always keeping in mind that one is not locked to the dice results, they can be seen more like "here is what a dungeon of this type should have". I've mixed from other tables (the dungeon really is under an abandoned castle, half is a natural cave system dressed as deathtrap, half is composed by old rooms like a study and a game room).

I was really surprised by the trap generator: I always tough very little of the DMG traps, but with those three rolls I've generated 4 "traps" that seems pretty good, waiting for the party to avoid/spring them :D

Also a couple of trick wene't bad at all, rolling on them gave me a nice idea for the entire dungeon.

TL;DR Those tables are fun! The most timeconsuming is the map drawing part, and that can be done by countless of sites, but the stocking is fun, and using it helps making what seems pretty nice dungeons and helps you imagine new ways to make something new for your party. Every DM should try at least once!

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have had a BLAST with donjon.

I then look at DMG and roll to determine purpose of rooms on tables and move them around as desired.

The DMG also helps stock those rooms with items.

The combination of donjon, DMG and my own campaign world as a backdrop minimizes prep time for need dungeons by 75%!

I have had a BLAST with donjon.

I then look at DMG and roll to determine purpose of rooms on tables and move them around as desired.

The DMG also helps stock those rooms with items.

The combination of donjon, DMG and my own campaign world as a backdrop minimizes prep time for need dungeons by 75%!
Donjon is an invaluable resource. It’s always tabbed on my phone for quick use.

Years ago I wrote a dungeon room description generator. It goes well with both the DMG and Donjon generators. It just gives random room and door descriptions, including door material & handle, ceiling shape & feature, walls and notable contents etc.

Posted in on the DMsGuild. It has an excel spreadsheet that will do all the rolls for you (or a FG version). If anyone wants a copy (either format) PM me your email address and I'll send you a free copy. I won't link it here cuz I don't want to advertise it.

Shiroiken

Legend
The random generators make for some great dungeons. Corridors probably should be more common than people think, because from a structural design, you'd want as much settled earth between open spaces as possible, as opposed to the fifty thousand square foot space supported only by a maze of 1 ft thick stone walls.

Remove ads