D&D General What About Those Other D&D Settings?

Staffan

Legend
I joke about Jakandor a lot, but I think producing a new book for it, unless they poured an enormous amount of resources into it, would be a guaranteed money loser. In fact, I think most of these defunct settings would be.

"I and my two dozen passionate friends would buy it!" isn't enough to sustain a "proper" book, even if there wasn't the opportunity cost of only being X number of slots on the production schedule -- which can be increased, to be sure, but not infinitely.
TWO dozen? Man, you're an optimist!

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Does it matter? WotC doesn’t really do settings anymore. They make adventures that have 5 pages of basic lore of the land they are in.

To get good Dragonlance stuff you have to go to the DMGuild. Or buy the old Ed stuff which 2E settings lore was and still os amazing. The old Faerun grey box is so so good.

Does it matter? WotC doesn’t really do settings anymore. They make adventures that have 5 pages of basic lore of the land they are in.

To get good Dragonlance stuff you have to go to the DMGuild. Or buy the old Ed stuff which 2E settings lore was and still os amazing. The old Faerun grey box is so so good.

or by books from pretty much any none 5e edition. 5e is just too skimpy and inconsistant on the lore.

They have some close calls on good settings, but they never fully commit. Radiant Citadel should have been a full sized setting book with adventures seperate, same with Witchlight & Domains of Delight. Even the actually setting stuff for Ravenloft should been bigger, how to do a horror campaign outside of basic mechanics, should have been in a seperate book like the DMG, and the page count should have been higher.

The the first two MtG settings were okay, but could have been better. Strixhaven was premature, like build the rest of Archvous first.

Only Eberron Rising From the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount were great.

Spelljammer had cool ideas and then DID NOTHING WITH THEM, the lack of content (page count) and poorly designed Spelljamming rules ruined the product.

Until now the strategy of allowing creations by 3PPs and these being published in DMGuild is working. Thanks this they can be making money without a lot of efford. For them the main goal is to give more prestige and popularity to the brand/IP/franchise.

It is curious. Now I am thinking Dark Sun could be perfect a mixture of sword&sorcery + horror movie. A templar and her team are chasing a group of fugitive slaves, and everybody ends in a cursed zone. They are stopped by a sandstorm and they have to enter within an underground mines. Of course if this is a horror movie, then there is something that starts people from both sides, templars and slaves..

* Now they are like...... launching a lot of "pilot episodes". As a baby crawnling because they haven't learnt yet to walk. They have got a lot of experience with the previous work, but now it is a different challengue, because the older generations want a thing, but new players want other.

And they have wanted to publish expensive books when other publishers are creating more competitive titles. If I buy a pocket edition of X book I can enjoy more crunch.

* Johanesland could be the name of a country, whose name was in honor of a king Jan/John, something style Johannesburg.

Last edited:

Remove ads