• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are favored classes to you?

afreed

First Post
I see favored class as representing the class a race is most inclined to take--whether due to society or physiology. Dwarven culture encourages warrior training, elves encourage magical study, humans are especially diverse, etc. It's reflective of fluff, not tied to the race's other mechanics.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
I think favored classes should reward a player for playing his race's favored class, rather than punish a player for not doing so. I think the way they are now is pretty ignorant.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Favored Classes are an abominable holdover from past versions of D&D. Conan's version (every five levels in your favored class, you get a bonus feat) is pretty nice. d20 Modern and Arcana Unearthed's versions (the concept is excised as a cancerous remnant of the blasphemous obscenity that were racial level limits) are arguably better still.

Racial substitution levels and paragon classes are a much better way of rewarding exhausted fantasy stereotypes, should one want to do so.

I'm currently using the Conan system with my hybrid d20 game. Not one player has taken five levels in his race or region's favored class! :\

Crothian

First Post
For me Favored Class just means members of that race are more likely to take levels in that class, I sort of consider it their default class,

Kalendraf

Explorer
I like the concept behind favored classes for each race. At the very least, it gives the player and DM a starting point when designing a character of that race. However, the current implementation leaves much to be desired.

I personally don't agree with some of the racial favored classes, especially the gnome bard or elf wizard. Fortunately, these can easily be changed by the DM without affecting the balance in the current rules. However, not all players or DMs may be as willing to modify this.

As Lasher Dragon says, a favored class should probably reward a character more, rather than having it be an experience penalty for cross-classing as it is now. What that reward would be is certainly open for debate. I think a race/class-specific feat or skill point bonus might work. For example, maybe have Dwarf Fighters gain Toughness as a bonus feat for choosing their favored class (which would also help them qualify for Dwarven Defender later on), while a halfling rogue might gain extra skill points for choosing their favored class. It's certainly food for thought.

Dread October

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
Favored Classes are an abominable holdover from past versions of D&D. Conan's version (every five levels in your favored class, you get a bonus feat) is pretty nice. d20 Modern and Arcana Unearthed's versions (the concept is excised as a cancerous remnant of the blasphemous obscenity that were racial level limits) are arguably better still.

Racial substitution levels and paragon classes are a much better way of rewarding exhausted fantasy stereotypes, should one want to do so.

I'm currently using the Conan system with my hybrid d20 game. Not one player has taken five levels in his race or region's favored class! :\

I'm in total agreement. I think they only get used if you feel like you can and should do the extra book keeping it would require. I've dropped them from all of games.

Dread October

Ranger REG

Explorer
Klaus said:
Is it the class a particular race is best at?

What say you?
Not that they're best at it, though you can reinforce that by offering race-specific favored-class-themed prestige class. It's more of what the majority of that species lean toward in their career path, if not having dabbled a level or two in it. That's why they're "favored."

Personally, it's one more way why humans and half-elves are more versatile when it comes to multiclassing. The other races are pretty much one-dimensional. Elves like magic. Hob- err, halflings like riddles and picking locks. Dwarves like to fight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads