Pathfinder 1E What are the best "undead" modules?

Looking for a list of the best undead centered modules for 3.x or Pathfinder.

Aside from quality, I don't really care who published it - 3.x era, Pathfinder or 3PP for either.

I have an odd gaming situation in that I play solo, and the wife GMs. But she doesn't have the time to come up with adventures on her own (mostly the maps and monsters) - so we use published modules. But the mechanics are adjusted that a solo character can complete a published module. And I am hankering to play an Undead hunter character.

Not looking for mega-modules or adventure path modules - mostly stand alone one that the wife can tie together - something she is great at. She has run 6 standalone adventures for one character and made it feel like an adventure path. :D

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Perhaps more niche than what you're looking for, but there's a Rite Publishing PF productline, the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror, which does have lots of undead, ghosts, haunts and worse, but is distinctly a feudal Japan setting, and not just a horror setting. Many of the horror tropes are distinctly Asian which offers something really different as far as typical undead adventures.

There's a short campaign of 3 modules called the Curse of the Golden Spear (link only points to first of 3 modules), and 3 one-shot adventures, including a free PDF one-shot called Frozen Wind. There's a short detailed encounter site/mini-adventure I wrote called Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House, which has something not too different from The Grudge (the movie). Of the supplements that best support horror for Kaidan is #30 Haunts for Kaidan, a collection of 30 haunts (using the PF haunt mechanic) and detailed backstories for each one, almost a collection of adventures or ghostly encounters themselves, plus various types of unique undead.

There's a sale going on right now at the Paizo store, though the links above point to DTRPG.

Last edited:

Perhaps more niche than what you're looking for, but there's a Rite Publishing PF productline, the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror, which does have lots of undead, ghosts, haunts and worse, but is distinctly a feudal Japan setting, and not just a horror setting. Many of the horror tropes are distinctly Asian which offers something really different as far as typical undead adventures.

I actually own that - Anything Asian flavored in PF I tend to have. And yeah it is niche. The character is in more of a classic Euro setting. But thanks.

N'raac

First Post
Although you mentioned a distaste for the Ravenloft setting, several of the modules have an Undead theme and could likely be transplanted out of the setting pretty easily, especially as they would need to be modified for a different edition and single character play anyway.

Although you mentioned a distaste for the Ravenloft setting, several of the modules have an Undead theme and could likely be transplanted out of the setting pretty easily, especially as they would need to be modified for a different edition and single character play anyway.

Yeah - and actually we don't modify modules for single character play, we modify the character. Gestalting to cover all skills and abilities, Mythic rules for extra power, higher stats, extra hero points. The main reason we do that is I am the "system" person and the wife is the "story" person - and she has less time for gaming than I do. So we just grab a modules and run right through it - she basically changes intro, outro, NPC names, and some minor story elements to fit an overall narrative.

But anything with lots of undead at any level is helpful -
There were some low level 3.5 mini-modules (AEG and FFG) that is basically zombies/skeletons with a nasty undead in the crypt kind of simple thing. That was going to be our lead off.

Thanks for all the suggestions - please keep them coming. :D

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Do you care if they involved a large number of undead that would make things difficult for a single player (ghoul paralysis, mummy paralyzing fear, level drain, etc)?

And do you mind if they're part of a loosely aligned series of modules (in that they follow each other chronically and related storywise, but can also be run independently/standalone)?

If you didn't mind either of these, then I might suggest a couple of paizo 3.5 era modules: Hungry are the Dead and Revenge of the Kobold King. They're part of the Falcon's Hollow series of modules (along with Hollow's Last Hope and Crown of the Kobold King, which are all directly related to each other, and sometimes included with them is Carnival of Fear. However these latter three modules don't heavily involve undead).

Remove ads