D&D 5E What are the Dark Powers?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
That and their motivations, are the classic questions that come up with Ravenloft adventures. So, what are they to you?

Personally, I see them as a plot device that should be used sparingly. Boring? Yes, but very useful.

I am curious to know is what they were in the Lord of the Necropolis novel.

MG.0

First Post
That and their motivations, are the classic questions that come up with Ravenloft adventures. So, what are they to you?

Personally, I see them as a plot device that should be used sparingly. Boring? Yes, but very useful.

I am curious to know is what they were in the Lord of the Necropolis novel.

I think it is a mistake to define what they are. Ravenloft is about fear.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
- H.P. Lovecraft

Prism

Explorer
I play a paladin from 1st level who was dragged into Ravenloft and spent most of his career struggling (and failing) to fight the evil in various lands. And then, at 11th level, just as he was about to do some good in a domain and fight the lord of the land to help free its people the Dark Powers dragged him back out to the prime material. He heard them laughing as he left and that's the first time he had any contact at all. Damn them all! Now, how to find a way back to Ravenloft....

Remove ads