D&D General What are the "dead settings" of D&D?

Mercurius

Legend
Meaning, which settings--published by TSR, WotC, or even third party specifically for D&D (e.g. Judge's Guild's Wilderlands of High Fantasy) that are essentially "dead," meaning with no active or ongoing campaigns anywhere? At least beyond the occasional one-off ("Hey, remember Ghostwalk? Let's play that tonight!"). Purely speculative, of course. Or to rephase: which settings would you guess have no active campaigns? Or at least, almost none?

We can use this Wikipedia page as a starting point, but feel free to discuss third parties. My guess would be to put them into the following categories:

• A - Significant active campaigning: Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Exandria, Ravnica
  • B - Large cult following: Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Planescape, Ravenloft, Nentir Vale, Mystara
  • C - Small cult following: Blackmoor, Spelljammer, Birthright, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, maybe Council of Wyrms
  • D - Little or no active following ("Dead settings"): Pellinore, Jakandor, Ghostwalk, Dragon Fist, Mahasarpa, Rokugan, maybe Council of Wyrms

I think you could shift some of B and C back and forth, depending upon how "large" and "small" are defined.

Notes on each group:

A: Obviously the FR belongs, as it is the default for most story arcs and the overall best-known and covered D&D setting that spans almost every era, especially if we count Ed Greenwood's first published Dragon article in 1979 (issue #30). Eberron was just re-published, Ravnica is still fresh, and Exandria is the new kid on the block and supported by the Critical Role behemoth.

B: Here's where it starts getting tricky. Greyhawk is a no-brainer: for most old-timers (grognards and quasi-grognards) it is "the" classic D&D setting. I'm guessing that Dark Sun, Planescape, and Ravenloft have enough of a following to qualify, probably Dragonlance too. I am less certain about Nentir Vale and Mystara, but think they belong here more than in C, but could probably be be convinced otherwise.

C: Again, tricky - depending upon where you draw the line between "large" and "small." Blackmoor probably has a very small player base, but both as the first D&D setting and because there's probably a small group of dedicated fans out there, it belongs here rather than as "dead." Spelljammer and Birthright weren't as impactful or as popular as Dark Sun and Planescape among the Golden Age of settings that was 2E, but both have a solid group of fans - at least Spelljammer. I'm not sure how many people are actually still playing Birthright, but it is at least enough in the public consciousness of old-timers that I think it earns its place. Similarly with Al-Qadim. Not so sure about Kara-Tur, but it earns inclusion as being part of the expanded Realms of 3E and later. I never owned or played Council of Wyrms and it doesn't seem like anyone talks about playing it, but it does get mentioned.

D: Pellinore? Exactly. But it existed. Jakandor and Dragon Fist were probably the least known and supported of the 2E settings. Rokugan is likely dead as a D&D setting, but I think it has a solid fan base for Legend of the Five Rings. Ghostwalk was a concept piece, the type of setting that people played once and were done; I highly doubt anyone is actively playing it, except as the occasional lark. Finally, Mahasarpa. I'm not sure it even qualifies as it was only published as a web enhancement, but I'm guessing no one is actively playing in it, except for perhaps James Wyatt and his group (no offense if you're reading this, James).

What do you think?

p.s. This is not meant as an attack on any of these settings! Popularity does not necessarily equate with quality. Just look at, well, music.

Mercurius

Legend
A non-exhaustive list of third party settings (some of these are wild guesses):

• A - Significant active campaigning: Golarion (as Pathfinder), Midgard
  • B - Large cult following: Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Ptolus, Scarred Lands, Middle-earth
  • C - Small cult following: Freeport, Lost Lands, Diamond Throne
  • D - Little or no active following ("Dead settings"): Diomin, Castlemourn, Kingdoms of Kalamar (now probably small cult following as Hackmaster setting), Dawnforge, Morningstar, Melnibone,

Shiroiken

Legend
I'd really break it down into 3 groupings:

Supported: FR, Eberron, Ravnica, etc.
Popular: Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, maybe Mystara and Dragonlance
Dead: everything else

Support keeps settings active, even if it only ever gets one setting book. Popular ones might see a setting book at one point, or at least an AP (Mystara and Dragonlance are on the bubble here). Everything else is effectively dead, even though they probably have fans still running the setting somewhere (people still play OD&D after all).

Ravenloft and Planescape have effectively been killed off for good, outside of DMsGuild, since 3rd edition and later have clearly proved WoTC has no intention of bringing back the settings as they existed in the late 90s. (Look at Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and Curse of Strahd - they have nothing to do with the Ravenloft setting, and indeed contradict it in several aspects). As for Planescape we might get an adventure set in Sigil with a Gazzetteer. But that will be it because for better or worse WoTC decided Planescape turned a lot of players off the planes with its cant and distinctive style (not to mention the tone of exclusivity a lot of the products had).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A couple I don't see on those lists, maybe because they've got different names I don't know about:

City State of the Invincible Overlord/World Emperor (Judges Guild) - small cult following
World of Harn - small cult following, maybe not used for D&D much

I take it you're treating Hollow World as an extension of Mystara?

And wasn't there once a setting based on Ringworld? I've no idea what it was called but I seem to recall seeing it mentioned (or advertised?) in some early-era Dragon mag's.

Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Kara-Tur, Dragonlance and Planescape will come back, later or sooner.

Greyhawk is "frozen" but not really dead.

Rokugan isn't by WotC. And this would rather to start from zero creating an IP where to add the races and new classes for its future Oriental Adventures.

Jakandor could be recycled as a setting for Magic: the Gathering, or like a spin-off of Dark Sun, to create stories about the conflict between keeping you have got or accept changes. But if this comes back, it will be in the last phases. And somebody will find some crazy but interesting idea for Jakandor if this is added in the DM Guild.

Birthright is perfect for a future videogame of real-time-strategy & stronhogld simulation.

If there is a Councyl of Wyrns, and I suggest to allow "open spaces" in the crystal sphere to allow all dragons with age categories from old editions, even the cobra-dragons. (and all dragonborn subraces and half-dragon templates based in all the dragons).

Mystara can be recovered, but I advice as hook for new fans a videogames. If Mystara had got a smashing-hit as Baldurc's Gate the things may be different, (or as we say in Spain "another rooster would sing").

Isn't Blackmoor and Mystara the same world? Has WotC the copyrights of Blackmoor setting?

Could WotC agree a partnership with Gary Gygax games?

* Mahasarpa is perfect for a coproduction with some Boolywood movie studios for a action-live movie.

* Ghost Walk is almost only a city. (how would be a crossover "ghost walk-Ravenloft"?), and Pelinore.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would put Birthright in the dead setting list.

Wasn't that popular first time around, no active groups in any sort of numbers.

Greyhawk and Mystara are popular enough in OSR circles. Active fan support as well.

Dragonlance seems to have taken a tumble as well. Darksun fading perhaps as well. Good luck finding a 4E game let alone Darksun 4E.

I'd like to see evidence that Ravnica, now, in 2020, has a significant current following. I feel like there are probably more people running 5E campaigns set in, say, Dragonlance or Greyhawk than Ravnica. Does even one person here currently play, right now, in a group that is playing in Ravnica?

And book sales don't mean jack, frankly, to who is actual playing what.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Isn't Blackmoor and Mystara the same world?
If memory serves they're related but not the same - they come from a common root but Blackmoor kinda went one way and Mystara another.

The large-scale map in X1 Isle of Dread is, I think, common to both...but I could be wrong.

Remove ads