D&D General What are the "dead settings" of D&D?

I did a search for D&D and Ravnica on YouTube and found at least five different streams posted in the last month. Here are a few, plus a parody song:

L'Ombra di Bolas, episodio 2 - Il tradimento [D&D ITA]

Ravnica - Dogs in the Guild Pact - S01E02

Interesting! I got a bunch of dead YouTube hits off Google, but none of these live ones! Great job integrating your own products Google! 😜 I was kind of expecting that so when I only got dead ones I assumed I was wrong. I should have honestly known better because I've searched for stuff before which I knew was on YouTube and had to actually go on to YouTube to find it.

But that's good to see! Looks like at least a couple of them are European as well, I wonder if MtG settings have significant fanbase there, wouldn't surprise me.

I see quite a few playing MtG at our local (London) games shop. They skew much younger than the D&D players though, so not much overlap.

Wow, the youth is still playing Magic, huh? I was what, 15 when I got my first Magic cards. That's some good work from WotC (also from London - born and raised in Hackney).

Voadam

Legend
Interesting! I got a bunch of dead YouTube hits off Google, but none of these live ones! Great job integrating your own products Google! 😜 I was kind of expecting that so when I only got dead ones I assumed I was wrong. I should have honestly known better because I've searched for stuff before which I knew was on YouTube and had to actually go on to YouTube to find it.

Search algorithms to maximize ad revenue at work! Finely tuned to answer your search query to give you what it thinks will engage/enrage you specifically, offering different answers based on past individual internet history. It is really depressing that something as basic and neutral as a D&D Ravnica search can lead to such disparate information outcomes about what is out there.

Does even one person here currently play, right now, in a group that is playing in Ravnica?

Me me! Representing! Sin is Debt

I mean, I know it's just a drop in the sea, but I thought it was funny to be called out ^^

in all honesty though, I don't get Ravnica... looks like Eberron to me. Once upon a time I thought it was a Planescape/Eberron mash-up, then I read a bit on the lore, and it looks like planar travel is actually SUPER RARE in Ravnica. Something that doesn't really seem obvious in the DnD book. Bah.

Aldarc

Legend
Yeah, it's not like Ravnica took everything over, but it's an active scene. People in Magic forums are also talking about their D&D adventures in Ravnica, so some geek soloing might be a factor ...
I believe that Adam Koebel also had his whole "Jace Must Die" series set in Ravnica.

I was in a Planescape game last fall
I'd say Spelljammer is in Rank 2 or 3. I currently have a spelljammer campaign, on pause like the world, that my group enjoys a lot. We're all newer players, the most seasoned of us have been playing for 3ish years, the newer for only a few months.

If WotC was to bring back spelljammer, the newer players would love it, so would the older players who were around when it first came out. They should make a Spelljammer book.

It does seem like a no brainer for a setting book. Lots of old settings have their fans, but there's a lot of people who have never heard of or at least have no particular nostalgia for Spelljammer who would be absolutely sold just by "D&D in space". It's niche, but a niche that really excites some people and that is very clearly different than their other offerings.

More importantly for the Hasbro bean counters, sci-fi options being lacking in D&D is probably a major reason for interested people to move on to other RPGs they don't own. They're just leaving money on the table.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I was in a Planescape game last fall

It does seem like a no brainer for a setting book. Lots of old settings have their fans, but there's a lot of people who have never heard of or at least have no particular nostalgia for Spelljammer who would be absolutely sold just by "D&D in space". It's niche, but a niche that really excites some people and that is very clearly different than their other offerings.

More importantly for the Hasbro bean counters, sci-fi options being lacking in D&D is probably a major reason for interested people to move on to other RPGs they don't own. They're just leaving money on the table.
I think Planescape is coming fairly soon to 5e, as it is fairly easy to translate to 5e, we just need info on the planes. Spelljammer is harder, but has been hinted at through various books.

Mercurius

Legend
5E will do the planes, but it remains to be seen how. It could be a revival of Planescape, or it could be something more like Magic's planeswalker thing, or it could be Spelljammer, or maybe a cap-system Manual of the Planes with options for all three, and further development of whatever proves most popular. But the planes are iconic enough to be a sure-thing.

A D&D setting isn't totally dead when somebody still publishs fan-art about this. And Hollywood has tought an old franchise can come back with the right production, for example transformers.

Some lines only need WotC to allow the idea of parallel worlds where fan creators can publish their own stories. For example a manga about a character of planescape, a deva/aasimar, who sacrifices herself to save innocent people and her sould is reincarnated into a princess in the world of Birthright, and later she discover a conspiration by a rogue guild of chronomancers.

Remove ads