• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the greatest Core mods of Year 5?

What are the best Year 5 Cord modules?

• COR5-20 Phantoms on the Bright Sands by Tom Kee

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • COR5-19 Retribution

• COR5-18 Kusnir by Stuart Kerrigan

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • COR5-17 Time's Tide on Bright Sands by James Dempsey and Bruce Paris

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • COR5-16 Here Comes the Sun! by Pierre van Rooden

• COR5-15 Immortal Longings by Mike Hinds

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • COR5-14 All Roads Lead ot Rauxes by Chris Chesher

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • COR5-13 The Price of Power by Craig Hier

• COR5-12 Return to the Undercity by Christian Alipounarian

• COR5-11 Dark Deceit on Bright Sands by Chris Chesher

• COR5-09 Gateway to Bright Sands by Theron Martin

• COR5-08 Clipping Wings by Shawn Merwin

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • COR5-07 Rings within Rings by Rainer Nagel

• COR5-06 Blood on Bright Sands by Creighton Broadhurst

• COR5-05 A Marked Man by Matt Maddy

• COR5-04 Desecrators of the Lord’s Tomb by Bruce Paris

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • COR5-03 Atonement by Theron Martin

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • COR5-02 The Voice of Reason by Pierre van Rooden

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • COR5-01 The Stone Man’s Missive by Ron Lundeen

• None, I hated all of them!

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Poll closed .

Firebeetle

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
I surely hope this doesn't mean you're surprised?
Only 12 actual voters (since 14 put the non-commital vote down) out of over 200. Yeah, it's a little surprising. I thought RPGA would be far more widespread than that.

Shadowdancer

First Post
I'll agree with the previous posters who touted Atonement, Time's Tide on Bright Sands and All Roads Lead to Rauxes. Here are some others I liked:

Retribution and Here Comes the Sun are good investigative mods, similar to Atonement.

The Voice of Reason was a good two-rounder with primarily investigation in the first half, and some good combat in the second half. I liked the interaction with the Rhennee (I have two characters who are Rhennee, including the one I ran through this adventure). Some good plot twists.

Desecrators of the Lord's Tomb and Return to the Undercity also were fun with some unexpected twists, and one in Undercity that was expected. (**Mild spoiler warning**) My home region is the Bandit Kingdoms, and I played it with a bunch of other BK characters. When one NPC offered us a less-than-legal job and asked it we would take it, we said, "Sure, we're from the Bandit Kingdoms. We're used to those sorts of jobs." But we expected him to double-cross us, and when the expected double-cross came, we were ready and defeated him and his henchmen. We captured him for questioning, and the first thing we said was, "We told you we were from the Bandit Kingdoms. That should have been sufficient warning for you not to mess with us."

The Bright Sands mods are all pretty good, except Phantoms on Bright Sands, but Time's Tide was the best of the bunch.

I also enjoyed Clipping Wings.

Numion

First Post
Why are they called 'core'? I've never heard about any of this.

I also thought that 'mods' means modifications, not modules.

diaglo

Adventurer
Firebeetle said:
Only 12 actual voters (since 14 put the non-commital vote down) out of over 200. Yeah, it's a little surprising. I thought RPGA would be far more widespread than that.

non-commital vote?

do you mean the i wouldn't play any of them even if they paid me option.

D'karr

Adventurer
Numion said:
Why are they called 'core'? I've never heard about any of this.

I also thought that 'mods' means modifications, not modules.

Core Modules in Living Greyhawk are modules set in a specific region of the Flanaess. It covers the city of Greyhawk and other "central" locations, like the Bright Lands. These specific modules can be played by players from ALL regions, just as they play in their normal region.

LG is divided into regions and metaregions designated by actual geographical boundaries. So if a player from Geoff (Sheldomar Valley Metaregion) wants to play a module from the Bandit Kingdoms (Iuz Border States Metaregion), he actually has to be in that geographical region. It also costs him more time as it is expected that time spent traveling to that region is time not spent adventuring. However, if that same player wanted to play a "Core" module then he can play with the same group that he plays with locally and the time spent in the module usually reflects the correct time spent.

The geographical restrictions are lifted once a year during "Winter Fantasy", now called the "D&D XPerience", an RPGA convention. During that convention there is an event called the Open Fiesta, in which players can play in modules from other regions. The modules are run by DM's from those regions and reported as usual.

It is a little complicated but not overly much once you get the hang of it. I hope that explains it.

Remove ads