What are the main Dragonlance characters properly called?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I have seen "Heroes of the Lance", and I have seen "The Companions" - what are they properly called as a party?

delericho

Legend
I believe they were The Companions before they became The Heroes of the Lance - after all, they didn't qualify for that last title until after their big adventure!

Rygar

Explorer
In non-story material referencing the party, they are alternatively the "Companions" if the time period is before the War of the Lance, or the "Heroes of the Lance" afterwards if the author prefers.

In game or in story, they have no official title prior to the war, or they are the "Heroes of the Lance" after the war. NPC's will recognize them as "Heroes of the Lance" post-war if you go by the Novels precedents.

Heroes of the Lance and Companions of the Lance are used pretty interchangeable. "Companions" might have been used more during the War, before they were heroes.

Prior to the war I believe they were actually called the Innfellows, owing to their base of operations at the Inn of the Last Home.

MJS

First Post
Also, in the novels, "the Companions" was the term to describe the group, rather than Party, or Fellowship, etc.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The other difference is that the Companions (aka the Innfellows) included Kitiara, before she became a dragon highlord. Tika wasn't old enough to join them yet, and they don't meet Riverwind and Goldmoon until the War of the Lance.

You can read more about these groups on the Dragonlance Lexicon.

The Companions

Heroes of the Lance

Remove ads