Supporter
In my car's player are CDs by:
  1. Them Crooked Vultures
  2. The Dead Weather
  3. Sade
  4. Kaki King
  5. The Sword
  6. High On Fire

They're in rotation with a bunch of other stuff- Street Sweeper Social Club, Joe Satriani, Chickenfoot, Orianthi, Soul Coughing, Hendrix, Sevendust, Heaven & Hell, The Yeah, Yeah Yeahs, The Bravery, Lush, Pelican, Boris, Dir en Grey, Florence + The Machine, Davey Knowles & Back Door Slam, to name but a few.

Welverin

First Post
Literally at this instant Thunderbird by They Might Be Giants (changed to Don't Know by Ash as I typed), but in general the random stuff I like (I make large playlists in iTunes that I then listen shuffled on my iPod).

though for something new, I'm subscribed to the A-Z Series by Ash. There are a couple of free songs on the main page if anyone's so inclined.

Welverin

First Post
Whaddaya think of as Queen's Greatest song? When I was a kid I always used to think of Bohemian Rhapsody. Nowadays though I prefer Somebody to Love . Somebody to Love is a helluvah good song.

I'd add Save Me and Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy to that.

Oh, course it is now hard for me to not think of Shaun of the Dead when I hear Don't Stop Me Now.

ssampier

First Post
I'm sailing away
Set an open course for the Virgin Sea
'Cause I've got to be free
Free to face the life that's ahead of me

I'm not a robot without emotions
I'm not what you see
I've come to help you
With your problems, so we can be free
I'm not a hero, I'm not a savior
Forget what you know

I nearly forgot Styx. I rather enjoy the Wedding episode of Chuck with the latter song featured.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Jack7

First Post
Pieces of Eight, and The Grand Illusion.
Good works. I used to have all of their albums on LP. I used to have a lot of albums on LP. I miss phonograph records. They had a lot of personality. Were very alive.

For anyone interested in Pink Floyd try out Wish You Were Here (their best album in my opinion), The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Meddle, and the Delicate Sound of Thunder.

By the way there's a classical (or art music) version of the works of Pink Floyd called, Us and Them: symphonic Pink Floyd. I highly recommend it.

Die Feen, however, is not so great. Not, comparatively speaking, when you consider what Wagner can do with opera. From the disc write-up I discovered that it was Wagner's third work but his first real completion. The story and libretto was pretty good. I've always liked Wagner's librettos. But the music, well, it was very primitive compared to Wagner's later works. It was no Lohengrin, or Ring Cycle, certainly no Parsifal (my favorite Wagnerian opera). It sounded to me something more like Berlioz would write as a middlin work. I can't really recommend it, expect as a curiosity.

Tonight I'm gonna listen to Brahms.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just after I posted upthread, I swapped out a few CDs in the changer- the new one from The Dead Weather replaced their first release (and it may be a better overall album), Ozomatli's new one is in, as is the new one from the Deftones, replacing The Sword and High on Fire, respectively.

Oh yeah, also floating around in the car are Rodrigo y Gabriella's new album (AWESOME!) and The Bravery's "The Sun and Moon (complete)". The latter one is unusual- its a 2 disc set with the 2nd disc being alternative takes on the songs on disc 1.

Jack7

First Post
This is without a doubt the single greatest lecture series on government, culture, society, and American and Roman military history I have ever heard. I cannot over-recommend it to you. If you can't get the lecture series, then read the book. It'll be well worth your time. His observations are acute and astute, his analysis is amazing, and his conclusions are simply brilliant.

The Tiber and the Potomac: Rome, America, and Empires of Trust by Thomas F. Madden Audio Book on Audio Download

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Trust-Built-America-Building/dp/0452295459/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274882662&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Empires of Trust: How Rome Built--and America Is Building--a New World (9780452295452): Thomas F. Madden: Books[/ame]

I suggest listening to the lectures if you can because I think that when you listen to or attend a lecture you gain a much better insight into what the lecturer really means and is really saying and implying. (Although books can contain far more raw data and information, and usually they have to in order to explain what is really meant and implied).

But in either case it is a brilliant set of observations and ideas.

Of course I listen to every lecture by Madden I possibly can. I like his lecture style, his lectures are always magnificent, and he's one of my favorite professors.

weem

First Post
In no particular order, this is what I have been listening to the most, recently...

1. Lupe Fiasco
2. Nas
3. Talib Kweli
4. Kanye
5. Little Brother
6. Drake
7. 88-Keys
8. Kid Cudi
9. 50 Cent
10. Consequence
11. Gnarls Barkley
12. Cormega

I would call myself a "rock" guy, but this is what I am listening to the most right now. Generally speaking I say that "I like anything but country".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases