What are you reading in 2022?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A new year, a chance to read books both new and old. Let us know what you are reading, and how you enjoyed it (or not). Fiction, non-fiction, gaming tomes or cookbooks - we don't judge, we just want to share.

So, what are YOU reading in 2022?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To kick it off, i just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts. (And @Eyes of Nine was wondering my reaction.)

It's a beautifully fresh hard-SF take on First Contact, or almost two first contacts in that the humans themselves are different enough from our baseline that discovering them is a co-journey.

It's got a lot of exposition, but handles it well between making it pertinent to the action or as part of flashbacks. It's a thinky, philosophic novel.

It ends up with an interested premise that I don't personally endorse, but that did not detract from the story to me.

Imagine I am quite entertained.

monsmord

Adventurer
I'll be doing a re-read of the main 10-book Malazan arc by Erikson before moving into his latest books in that milieu. I read it previously over quite a span of years, losing threads and continuity in the process. A book or more a month will be like both coming home to the familiar and finding fresh new things to appreciate.

I liked Blindsight quite a bit, but it's another that deserves a re-read before checking out book 2, also part of my 2022 plan.

Last edited:

Reading a lot of books at once this year. So dipping in one then another, then another. Slower pace, but enjoying myself. Right now reading a book on the witch craze by Brian Levack, some cryptozoology books, and a bunch of religious books. Also reading stuff like Compendium Maleficarium by Francesco Maria Guazzo

Ulfgeir

Hero
Still reading "Blades in the Dark", as well as an instructors book about archery (mostly deals with Recurce-shooting though). And I am halways through a "Write Now!"- book with stuff for SF and Fantasy.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I just finished a year long reread (and hardcopy collecting) of Nero Wolfe...

IMG_20211231_224154~2.jpg

... and am a bit adrift, with nothing started but a short story collection reread I last picked up almost a year ago.

John Sandford has a new book coming out in April (starring Letty!) so that will happen at some point.

I guess I'll order a copy of the new 1619 book soon.

Might try some fantasy anthologies this year even if they don't have a Glen Cook story in them. (I usually like most of the stories in them at least as much as his recent short fiction).

Ximnipot69

Explorer
Started the year by listening to Here We Go Again: My Life in Television and If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't), both written and read by Betty White.

Still haven't figured out my first fantasy and scifi reads for the year yet, nothing on my TBR looks tempting.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
To kick it off, i just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts. (And @Eyes of Nine was wondering my reaction.)

It's a beautifully fresh hard-SF take on First Contact, or almost two first contacts in that the humans themselves are different enough from our baseline that discovering them is a co-journey.

It's got a lot of exposition, but handles it well between making it pertinent to the action or as part of flashbacks. It's a thinky, philosophic novel.

It ends up with an interested premise that I don't personally endorse, but that did not detract from the story to me.

Imagine I am quite entertained.
Nice review. I really appreciated the book (but didn't want to color your impression).

Remove ads