What are you reading in 2022?

I also took a while to get through the series originally, taking breaks in between books. It's such a densely woven series, I'm sure it'll reveal new depths that way, but I don't know that I'd have it in me to do a back-to-back re-read.

I'll be doing a re-read of the main 10-book Malazan arc by Erikson before moving into his latest books in that milieu. I read it previously over quite a span of years, losing threads and continuity in the process. A book or more a month will be like both coming home to the familiar and finding fresh new things to appreciate.

How cool, I had no idea Dio wrote an autobiography. Will have to check it out!

I need to update my Goodreads page to reflect what I am currently reading:
  • Rainbow in the Dark by Ronnie James Dio > this is his autobiography and since he's my favorite rock/heavy metal singer, I was excited to get it and I'm about 2/3 done. Ronnie was a voracious reader and read a great deal of fantasy literature and his love of those medieval themes showed through in his songs. His death broke my heart, but hardly a week goes by that I don't think about him or spin one of his albums. RIP \m/

hedgeknight

Explorer
Yeah man, let me know when you do, Ralif. I'm about a chapter and a half from finishing; it's been really good and has encouraged me to go back through Ronnie's music catalog one more time.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the "1619 Project" and think it's pretty darn good. I knew what it was advertised as, but the closest thing I'd read recently was the popular consumption history book "These Truths" and for some reason my brain was expecting it to be similar in how it reads. It's designed to be essays with lots of history in them (and poems and the like) instead of a history book though. In one of the Nero Wolfe books a rich character sends 10,000 (iirc) copies of a book out to all kinds of elected officials and the like because she thinks they should read it. If I thought there was a chance they'd read it, that would be a go fund me I'd support.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the "1619 Project" and think it's pretty darn good. I knew what it was advertised as, but the closest thing I'd read recently was the popular consumption history book "These Truths" and for some reason my brain was expecting it to be similar in how it reads. It's designed to be essays with lots of history in them (and poems and the like) instead of a history book though. In one of the Nero Wolfe books a rich character sends 10,000 (iirc) copies of a book out to all kinds of elected officials and the like because she thinks they should read it. If I thought there was a chance they'd read it, that would be a go fund me I'd support.
I'm stuck in the prologue, and have been distracted by other "lighter" books. It's one I really want to read though. Maybe I'll commit to getting through half of it in Jan...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm stuck in the prologue, and have been distracted by other "lighter" books. It's one I really want to read though. Maybe I'll commit to getting through half of it in Jan...
It feels like the "chapters" don't need to be read in order, or require the prologue. So, could jump right into Chapter 2 "Race" or Chapter 3 "Sugar". I can certainly see being in the mood for something lighter being tough competition!

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Doing Andre Norton's "Star Soldiers" and omnibus of Star Guard and Star Rangers; I dimly remember reading them a long time ago, except forgot what they were about, so I bought a used version, it is effortless before sleep reading.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finally finished Priest by Matt Colville. I am of many minds about how I feel about the book. On the one hand, I enjoyed it. On the other hand, the ending left me feeling like I didn't get an ending. On the third hand, I didn't like all the explaining near the end. Too much telling / translating, among other things. On the fourth hand, I'm thinking I might read the next book, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, not sure if I can recommend it or not, in the end. I may need more time to process it.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I enjoyed Priest, and also Thief. He has an interesting, hard boiled style for fantasy. I also like the theme. "You are better than the worst thing you have ever done". It's a theme you get in Brandon Sanderson's Rhythm of War also, though not in those exact words. I'm always a sucker for a redemption arc.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So on my COVID-induced break I've been wrapping up a few shows and books.

The most recent book was kind of a disappointment, unfortunately. Carthage Must Be Destroyed, by Richard Miles. I wanted to love this book. I've always been fascinated by Carthage, and, um...

spoiler, I guess....??? Really, who knows any more!

Yeah, Rome kind of kicked their posterior, burned the city to the ground, and salted the earth- so there's not a whole lot of history we have from their side.

Any way, this book supposedly told the story of Carthage from the Carthaginian p.o.v. by combining modern archaeological evidence and combing through the ancient histories (which were distorted) to present a more balanced and comprehensive look.

I guess it did the best job possible? The thing is, I didn't learn a whole lot that was brand new to me. It just made me sad ... because it just re-emphasized that so much was lost and will never be fully known.

There was also something about the writing style that didn't quite work for me. The best example is how Miles kept teasing child sacrifice by the Carthaginians, usually in the context of "Oh, the Romans and Greeks always make up slurs against their enemies," and then moved on to something else, and then in what was an aside was like, "Oh yeah, they were totally doing the child sacrifice, even after the Eastern Phoenicians had abandoned it."

It was just a weird stylistic choice.

So if you're really into Carthage (um... that's not a euphemism) you should read it. I don't regret reading it. But I wish it was more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases